Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I create a url scheme so that I can open a url with an external application?

Grady Drew December 7, 2018

I would like to be able to be able to open "bjn://XXXXXX" links with the appropriate application (blue jeans). 

However, after creating a link to a "web" url using "bjn" rather than "http", it strips the link, but retains the link formatting. 

Is there any way to add a scheme for external applications, or a way to get around the stripping of what i put into the link value? 

Thank you...

2 answers

0 votes
Grady Drew December 10, 2018

Is there any work-around for Cloud for inserting links via straight HTML? 

0 votes
Diego
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 10, 2018

Hello there Grady!
I was able to insert a custom URL scheme using the advanced link insertion:

1- Enter edit mode
2- Click the chain icon (link) at the top bar
3- In the left side of the dialog box, click Advanced
4- Copy the desired link in the Link field
5- If need be, define a text to be shown instead of the link itself in the Link text field

When I clicked the link created this way, I was able to select and open it with an application native to my computer.

I hope this helps Grady. Let us know about your findings!

I have tried this. When typing the link in the Advanced editor, I get the following error: 

"The markup provided is not valid link markup"

It strips the scheme, and when clicking on the link generated on the page it just tries to create an empty Confluence document. 

image.png

It seems to strip everything after "bjn", and then tries to make a "bjn" page because it's a link to a non-existent page. 

Diego
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 10, 2018

Grady, thanks for replying!
I have tested this on Confluence Server, thanks for clearing that you have already tried it and the procedure does not work. I have now tried to implement this in Cloud and was unsuccessful. For Confluence Cloud, we have a open report right here:

- CONFCLOUD-14393

Let us know your thoughts.

Yep. I'm on Cloud. 

The ticket you pointed me to is from 9 years ago. I assume this isn't going to get addressed any time soon? 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events