How do I allow included content to display for specific groups?

I have a group of users who can only see a subset of the content within my wiki. However, the content is being pulled from the rest of the wiki.

For content reuse, I've created a new space for this group and have used the Include, Excerpt, and Multi-excerpt macros to display the content. 

I've set the space permissions so that the subset group only has permission to view their unique space with the included content and they cannot view content in the rest of the wiki. However, in order for the group to view the included content, they must have permission to view the source space. If they have permission to view the source space, they can then see all of the content that we wanted to hide from them in the first place. 

All groups must be behind a username/password authentication. We do not allow anonymous access. 

I've been looking at using the Visibility macro to modify individual chunks of content within an included page (links and the like) but it doesn't seem like I can use it to specify entire pages from restricted spaces, can I?

2 answers

1 accepted

This widget could not be displayed.
Davin Studer Community Champion Jun 13, 2016

You could create a third space that both spaces will pull from. Or if you are ok with the non-locked down users being able to see the locked down space you could house the content in the locked down space and include it into the non locked down space.

This widget could not be displayed.

The trick is to allow everyone to view the space, while locking down the individual pages to only those that need to see that information.

It might require the breaking up of pages with multiple excerpts.

I was afraid of that. 

In my mind, I have this beautiful image of content from multiple, locked down spaces flowing into a single repository that my specialized group can see and all other content is wiped from their experience. 

However, I have a feeling I'll need to do it backwards and hold the needed content in the group space and then reference that from the other, restricted (and more used) spaces. 

Thanks for the answer!

Suggest an answer

Atlassian Summit 2018

Meet the community IRL

Atlassian Summit is an excellent opportunity for in-person support, training, and networking.

Learn more
Community showcase
Published Jul 30, 2018 in Confluence

How Manon Soubies-Camy uses Confluence + Trello to organize webinar notes and her knitting stash

@Manon Soubies-Camy is an engineer who has been an avid Atlassian user since 2014. She helps companies of all sizes transform the way they work with the Atlassian stack, including Jira and Confl...

866 views 8 13
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you