How can I retrieve a list of LICENSED users that have not logged in for a year or more?

Rehnuma Noor February 27, 2020

My organization's Confluence instance (v6.15.4) uses LDAP for authentication. Currently we have 4 user groups in Confluence that fall under the Licensed Users category, including a read-only group. As an admin, I receive requests to allow access for specific users and I do this by adding them to one of these groups ("confluence-users"). When we near the license limit my team and I review our record-keeping spreadsheet that tells us the last login of users. If they have not logged in for 6 months or more we remove them from the user group so that they no longer consume a license.

This hasn't been very efficient because my team and I have been receiving an influx of requests due to project demand. I wanted to see if there was a way to check this information in the backend so that we don't have to keep going back to the spreadsheet.

Thank you,

Rehnuma

3 answers

1 vote
JP _AC Bielefeld Leader_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 27, 2020

Hi,

I use a user macro to generate a nice little report...

## @param group:title=Group|type=string|required=true|desc=Usergroup|default=confluence-users

#set($containerManagerClass = $content.class.forName('com.atlassian.spring.container.ContainerManager'))
#set($getInstanceMethod = $containerManagerClass.getDeclaredMethod('getInstance',null))
#set($containerManager = $getInstanceMethod.invoke(null,null))
#set($containerContext = $containerManager.containerContext)
#set($loginManager = $containerContext.getComponent('loginManager'))

#set($now=$content.currentDate.time)
#set($group = $userAccessor.getGroup($paramgroup))
#if($group)
#set($usernames = $userAccessor.getMemberNames($group))
#end
#set($totalactiveusers = 0)
<table class="confluenceTable" width="660px">
<tr>
<th class="confluenceTh">Name</th>
<th class="confluenceTh">Last Loging</th>
<th class="confluenceTh" style="text-align:center;">Days/Status</th>
</tr>
#foreach($username in $usernames)
#set($t3="9999")
#set($user = $userAccessor.getUser($username))
<tr>
<td class="confluenceTd">#usernameLink($user.name)</td>
<td class="confluenceTd" style="text-align:center;">$action.dateFormatter.formatGivenString('yyyy-MM-dd HH:mm',$loginManager.getLoginInfo($user).lastSuccessfulLoginDate)</td>
#if($loginManager.getLoginInfo($user).lastSuccessfulLoginDate)
#set($t3= $now - $loginManager.getLoginInfo($user).lastSuccessfulLoginDate.time)
#set($t3= $t3/1000/24/60/60)
#end
<td class="confluenceTd" style="text-align:center;">
#if($userAccessor.isDeactivated($user))
<ac:macro ac:name="status">
<ac:parameter ac:name="colour">Red</ac:parameter>
<ac:parameter ac:name="title">Locked</ac:parameter>
</ac:macro>
#else
#set($totalactiveusers = $totalactiveusers + 1)
#if($t3 < 7)
<ac:parameter ac:name="colour">Green</ac:parameter>
<ac:parameter ac:name="title">$t3</ac:parameter>
#elseif($t3 < 31)
<ac:parameter ac:name="colour">Blue</ac:parameter>
#elseif($t3 < 180)
<ac:parameter ac:name="colour">Yellow</ac:parameter>
#else
<ac:parameter ac:name="colour">Red</ac:parameter>
#end
#end
</td>
</tr>
#end
</table>
<p>Active users is group <b>$paramgroup</b>: $totalactiveusers</p>

As formatting gets f$%# even when I try using a code block, you might like to copy & paste it to notepad or something similar before creating the macro in Confluence.

snip.png

Example Screenshot (I removed the user names...).

Hope this helps.

Best

JP

Rehnuma Noor February 27, 2020

Hi JP,

Thanks for your quick response.

I've never used macros with Confluence. Will it change anything on the UI? Will it retrieve information from all of the 4 groups we have set up?

JP _AC Bielefeld Leader_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 27, 2020

Hi,

no, it won’t change the UI. The macro generates a standard Confluence table and generates other macros for the status display. This macro needs a group name parameter (default to confluence-users). I would create a page with multiple instances of the macro with different group names. 
You can modify the macro to your needs. 
User macros can be very powerful. Give them a try.

Best

JP

Dominic Lagger
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 27, 2020

Great user macro! Thanks for sharing!

Regards, Dominic

Rehnuma Noor February 28, 2020

So I tried adding the macro but for some reason it won't show up in the macro browser. I'm not sure if I'm setting this up correctly.

macro edit.jpg

0 votes
JimmyVanAU
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 27, 2020

There's also this app:

Manage Inactive Users for Confluence 

that will manage inactive users in Confluence for you :)

Thanks, Jimmy. As I've mentioned above to Ivan we want to avoid installing plug-ins at the moment. We have a protocol to get them reviewed by our security team before installing, which tends to be a lengthy process.

Thanks for suggesting!

0 votes
Ivan Lima
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 27, 2020

@Rehnuma Noor , I've answered a similar question to this one at

I would take a look at the post I mentioned. Perhaps, it will also help you here.

Cheers.

Thanks, Ivan. I see that the recommendation is to use "User Management for Confluence" however, we want to avoid plug-ins to see of there's a workaround like a query or macro, as JP suggested. Appreciate the feedback! 

Ivan Lima
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 28, 2020

You're very welcome 😊 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events