How can I recover space permissions after migrating Confluence spaces from server to Cloud free?

Rob Horan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 13, 2021

After migrating a bunch of spaces to Confluence Cloud Free I went to look at them - and I can't. The old permissions are in effect.  Also, I cannot recover permissions because the service tier is free.  So I can't look at them, I can't delete them. I'm stuck.

So, after checking further, here's a little more context.

I have two users in there - my org & site admin, and a site admin.

I performed a migration with the site admin.  My org/site admin can't do a thing.  The other user has all abilities.

As an org/site admin I should be a proper deity - why is that user blocked?

1 answer

0 votes
Diego
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 15, 2021

Hello there!

That situation is indeed what happens when we migrate restricted content from a Confluence site into another. The content brings over the permissions and restrictions applied in the source site.

Only someone who already has high enough access to the content can change those permissions. In the free plan we can either keep the restrictions or completely remove them.

if you choose to keep the restrictions:

• Only users who already have access to the content will be able to access it
  • Only groups that already have access to it will be able to access it

For a user to have access to it, it need to be either in a group that is already able to access it in the source site or the user needs to be registered on the source site and have access to the content.

With this in mind I would like to ask you:

1. Is the user who can access the migrated content, present in the source site of the content?
  2. Is the user who can access the migrated content, a member of a group that can access the content?

if you choose to remove the restrictions:

• Everyone will be able to access the content
  • The permissions will not be manageable while you are in the Free plan

Let us hear from you, @Rob Horan!

Matt Armstrong October 23, 2023

I'm facing this exact same problem: I have a space migrated from server to cloud and it has kept the restrictions, but there is no way to remove these restrictions while you are on the free plan.

Maybe there was a time in the past where there was an option in Free to reset space permissions, but currently if I go to the Space Permissions all I can see is a modal dialog that says:

"Upgrade for space permissions
You're on the free plan, so you can't change the space permissions. To set permissions on spaces, upgrade your plan.
Try it now | Learn more"
There's no option to "completely remove" the space permissions!
Like Rob Horan likes this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events