Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gaining access to personal space of departed employee

Gregory Muir January 8, 2021

I have admin rights and need to gain access to the space to share the contents with the employee's manager. I think I'm barking up the right tree but may be looking at the wrong branch. 

So, we need access to the space. In permissions I grant explicit view access, done. Now I know restricted pages cant trump that so what I have to do is strip the restrictions. When I go in there, I see the operations and the unlock icon. I click it and am told:

You don't have permission to view this page

This is because it's inheriting restrictions from a parent page. A space admin or the person who shared this page may be able to give you access.

Well, where is the page inheriting it from? Not sure where to find that. It should all be right here. 

1 answer

1 vote
Davin Studer
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 8, 2021

If you make yourself a space admin you should be able to see all pages and remove any restrictions.

I believe I already did. Become an admin of that space? Just double-checked and it says I am, yet the page is still restricted. Doing it by finding personal space in space explorer, clicking the circle i and editing permissions. 

Davin Studer
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 8, 2021

Page restrictions are inherited from an ancestor page (parent/grandparent/etc.). So, if it is an inherited restriction you just need to work your way up the tree to find which page has the restriction applied. FYI, only view restrictions can be inherited. Edit restrictions cannot be inherited.

Like Gregory Muir likes this

In comparing my permissions with the other admin, I see I have most of the same groups but do NOT have confluence-administrators. Based on other posts here, it sounds like if I have that, I see all, regardless of the nominal restriction. So I have some admin rights but not all the admin rights! But it's weird because on other pages I was able to remove restrictions without problem when people set their security too tight. 

Interesting. Well, I'm trying to work my way up the tree. "user's home" should be the highest page in the tree. Still can't alter restrictions. Weird. 

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events