Fail to Start Confluence after Reboot

shuxin li February 21, 2018

I installed Confluence on a Ubuntu 16.04LTS server. It worked well in the past three months. The server was ever reboot several times before and the Confluence service was started normally after reboot. 

Unfortunately, the Confluence server failed to start after the server was reboot last week.  It was using MySQL database. I checked the service status. Both confluence and mysql services were started. However, I got a 404 error when I tried to connect Confluence with a browser. 

I checked the confluence log file and found may error messages. The log file was too big to attach here. It seemed there're something wrong with the JDBC connection. How can I checked the status on Confluence service? Is there anything wrong with the JDBC connection? How can I fix it? 

The last packet successfully received from the server was 2,600 milliseconds ago. The last packet sent successfully to the server was 5 milliseconds ago.
-- url: /setup/setupdata.action | traceId: 8be271898e4153e1 | userName: anonymous | referer: http://192.168.0.109:8090/setup/setupdata-start.action | action: setupdata
2017-11-15 11:03:30,469 ERROR [Caesium-1-1] [impl.schedule.caesium.JobRunnerWrapper] runJob Scheduled job com.atlassian.confluence.plugins.confluence-document-conversion-library:conversionQueueMonitorRunner#conversionQueueMonitor jobToBeExecuted failed to run
-- url: /setup/setupdata.action | traceId: 8be271898e4153e1 | userName: anonymous | referer: http://192.168.0.109:8090/setup/setupdata-start.action | action: setupdata
org.springframework.transaction.CannotCreateTransactionException: Could not open Hibernate Session for transaction; nested exception is net.sf.hibernate.exception.JDBCConnectionException: Unable to acquire JDBC Connection
at org.springframework.orm.hibernate.HibernateTransactionManager.doBegin(HibernateTransactionManager.java:473)
at com.atlassian.confluence.impl.hibernate.ConfluenceHibernateTransactionManager.doBegin(ConfluenceHibernateTransactionManager.java:41)
at org.springframework.transaction.support.AbstractPlatformTransactionManager.getTransaction(AbstractPlatformTransactionManager.java:373)
at sun.reflect.GeneratedMethodAccessor117.invoke(Unknown Source)
at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)
at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:498)
at org.springframework.aop.support.AopUtils.invokeJoinpointUsingReflection(AopUtils.java:302)
at org.springframework.aop.framework.JdkDynamicAopProxy.invoke(JdkDynamicAopProxy.java:202)
at com.sun.proxy.$Proxy147.getTransaction(Unknown Source)
at org.springframework.transaction.support.TransactionTemplate.execute(TransactionTemplate.java:130)
at com.atlassian.confluence.schedule.listeners.ScheduledJobsListener.executeInTransaction(ScheduledJobsListener.java:162)
at com.atlassian.confluence.schedule.listeners.ScheduledJobsListener.executeInTransactionAndHandleExceptions(ScheduledJobsListener.java:139)
at com.atlassian.confluence.schedule.listeners.ScheduledJobsListener.jobToBeExecuted(ScheduledJobsListener.java:97)
at com.atlassian.confluence.impl.schedule.caesium.JobRunnerWrapper.runJob(JobRunnerWrapper.java:82)
at com.atlassian.scheduler.core.JobLauncher.runJob(JobLauncher.java:153)
at com.atlassian.scheduler.core.JobLauncher.launchAndBuildResponse(JobLauncher.java:118)
at com.atlassian.scheduler.core.JobLauncher.launch(JobLauncher.java:97)
at com.atlassian.scheduler.caesium.impl.CaesiumSchedulerService.launchJob(CaesiumSchedulerService.java:443)
at com.atlassian.scheduler.caesium.impl.CaesiumSchedulerService.executeLocalJob(CaesiumSchedulerService.java:410)
at com.atlassian.scheduler.caesium.impl.CaesiumSchedulerService.executeQueuedJob(CaesiumSchedulerService.java:388)
at com.atlassian.scheduler.caesium.impl.CaesiumSchedulerService$1.consume(CaesiumSchedulerService.java:285)
at com.atlassian.scheduler.caesium.impl.CaesiumSchedulerService$1.consume(CaesiumSchedulerService.java:282)
at com.atlassian.scheduler.caesium.impl.SchedulerQueueWorker.executeJob(SchedulerQueueWorker.java:65)
at com.atlassian.scheduler.caesium.impl.SchedulerQueueWorker.executeNextJob(SchedulerQueueWorker.java:59)
at com.atlassian.scheduler.caesium.impl.SchedulerQueueWorker.run(SchedulerQueueWorker.java:34)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:748)
Caused by: net.sf.hibernate.exception.JDBCConnectionException: Unable to acquire JDBC Connection
at org.hibernate.exception.internal.SQLStateConversionDelegate.convert(SQLStateConversionDelegate.java:115)
at org.hibernate.exception.internal.StandardSQLExceptionConverter.convert(StandardSQLExceptionConverter.java:42)
at org.hibernate.engine.jdbc.spi.SqlExceptionHelper.convert(SqlExceptionHelper.java:111)
at org.hibernate.engine.jdbc.spi.SqlExceptionHelper.convert(SqlExceptionHelper.java:97)
at org.hibernate.resource.jdbc.internal.LogicalConnectionManagedImpl.acquireConnectionIfNeeded(LogicalConnectionManagedImpl.java:102)
at org.hibernate.resource.jdbc.internal.LogicalConnectionManagedImpl.getPhysicalConnection(LogicalConnectionManagedImpl.java:129)
at org.hibernate.internal.SessionImpl.connection(SessionImpl.java:514)
at com.atlassian.hibernate.adapter.adapters.session.SessionV2Adapter.connection(SessionV2Adapter.java:159)
at org.springframework.orm.hibernate.HibernateTransactionManager.doBegin(HibernateTransactionManager.java:422)
... 25 more
Caused by: com.mysql.jdbc.exceptions.jdbc4.CommunicationsException: Communications link failure

2 answers

0 votes

I didn't find a file named dbconfig.xml even searching the whole file system. Could you please tell me where the 

I suppose it shouldn't be a user/password issue because I have been using confluence for several months. It just stopped working after the server was reboot. I didn't change anything to the database during reboot. Is there anyway to fix Confluence? E.g. may I reinstall Confluence while keep the previous database? 

Francesc Arbó
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 22, 2018

What kind of database are you using with Confluence?

shuxin li February 22, 2018

I'm using MySQL.

shuxin li February 25, 2018

If it's hard to recover the installation, I would like to reinstall Confluence if the database could be reused. Is that possible? 

Francesc Arbó
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 26, 2018

If you still have your database, you can create a dump and, once installed Confluence again you can try to bulk it. First, try this in a local install to check if it works ok.

0 votes
Francesc Arbó
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 21, 2018

Hi @shuxin li,

it seems Confluence can reach the database: "Communications link failure". I can see also "Unable to acquire JDBC Connection".

I would check  dbconfig.xml file if the information is correct (such as user/password) and also, I would check if this user acces the right access into the database.

I didn't find a file named dbconfig.xml even searching the whole file system. Could you please tell me where the 

I suppose it shouldn't be a user/password issue because I have been using confluence for several months. It just stopped working after the server was reboot. I didn't change anything to the database during reboot. Is there anyway to fix Confluence? E.g. may I reinstall Confluence while keep the previous database?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events