Does Confluence support guests to be in teams?

Abhay Patil July 25, 2024

UPDATED my question:

I had our admin add "guest" users to our Confluence on cloud.

As a regular licensed user, I created a "team" of some of the external users. I did not add myself (licensed user) to this team. There was a message indicating the team was created.

However when I search for teams, I don't see the team that I apparently created.

Then I created a team where I added myself and the external users. And, there the team was. But alas, it only had me (licensed user) in it.

So, the question is - does Confluence support guest users to be part of teams?

Thanks.

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
samanta_aragao
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 25, 2024

Hello, as far as I could check, a guest can't be included inside a team. I tried create a team and include a guest user. First it was included but when i try to search for it, the team is not found. 

After that I did it again including my user and the guest, but I can only see my user as a user inside the team.

When I try to include the guest again, it shows this error (Samanta Aragão is the guest in the picture bellow):

image.png

Abhay Patil July 25, 2024

Thanks for confirming.

Just that Confluence gives false impression that it created the team when in fact it either doesn't create one at all or creates one but excludes guests without letting the user know. Not a great user experience.

samanta_aragao
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 25, 2024

Exactly, I agree! An error should appear since the first time we try to create a team including a guest user.

Like Abhay Patil likes this
Kristian Klima
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 25, 2024

A guest can access only one space at a time (and they need to be manually assigned to a space), so it sounds like there's some kind of a permission conflict.

Abhay Patil July 26, 2024

Teams is just a matter of clubbing some users together - hence the question. I have asked a separate question about "groups". Groups can be made only with admin credentials, and I believe admin can create groups of guests. Documentation of groups doesn't make mention of guests though.

0 votes
Barbara Szczesniak
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 26, 2024

@Abhay Patil On this page about creating a team (https://support.atlassian.com/atlassian-account/docs/start-an-atlassian-team/), it says:

Once your team has been created, organization admins and team members will have the same permissions as you do. They can:

• Change header image

• Accept/Decline membership request

• Add members

• Remove members

• Edit team name

• Edit team settings

• Edit team description

• Add links

• Delete team

I think this is why guest users cannot be part of a team, since you would not want to give them these privileges in this way.

I read more often about using Groups for Guest user access and permissions.

Abhay Patil July 26, 2024

Thanks, that makes perfect sense. I have asked question about guests being put in groups as the Atlassian documentation doesn't call out treatment of guests when it comes to groups.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events