Do configuration changes show up in the Confluence log files anywhere?

Sami Moran April 3, 2013

I've searched in the documentation, but I can't seem to find what kinds of things are actually placed in the logs.

Thanks!

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
RianA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 3, 2013

For information like JVM parameter number of spaces, OS information and the database would be inside the log. However if you would like to see any modification on the file, you could get it from System Information when you start up Confluence.

Sami Moran April 3, 2013

Thanks, Rian. Very helpful!

RianA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 4, 2013

Sure most welcome! You could get more information about Confluence log here:
* https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/DOC/Working+with+Confluence+Logs

0 votes
SarahA
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 3, 2013

Hallo Sami

Nice question! There's a page in the Confluence administration UI that shows the configuration changes made since Confluence was installed. Here's the documentation:https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/DOC/Tracking+Customisations+Made+to+your+Confluence+Installation

I hope this helps.

Cheers, Sarah

Sami Moran April 3, 2013

Thanks for the link, Sarah!

That's not quite the information I was looking for, though. I'm clearly not using the right terminology in my search, or in my question. :-(

What I'm looking for specifically is a log of changes to the Confluence configuration --- that is to say, configuration settings, not modifications such as adding a new user macro or some custom Java or Velocity code --- primarily at the system level. Specifically, I'd like to be able to track when and by whom: plug-ins were installed/enabled/disabled; the security configuration was changed; someone tweaked the overall search configuration, etc.

It would be nice if I could track when and by whom: someone added a new user group or a new user, or revises permissions for either; someone applied a different theme to a space; etc. These things are considerably less important, though.

Wikis are so great at tracking page histories, I just expected for system changes to be tracked at the same level of detail. If they are, I certainly haven't been able to find out where ....

Thanks for your help!

Sami

SarahA
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 3, 2013

Hallo again Sami

Ah, I see. A partial answer is that you can track what's happened to plugins, via the Universal Plugin Manager's audit log:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/UPM/Viewing+the+Add-on+Audit+Log

For things like adding user groups, etc, I guess you'd need to do a database query.

That's as much as I know. :)

Cheers, Sarah

Sami Moran April 3, 2013

Thanks, Sarah! Very helpful.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events