Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creating page from template with User Name defaulted in the page name (Cloud Confluence instance)

Rose Camp July 27, 2017

Hi. I am trialling the set up of a Professional Development space, with the intention of holding a set of pages for each staff member.  The top level page for each person has some 'Create from Template' buttons, so that they can choose to copy in the various Subject Matter capability expectation templates and assess themselves against this. 

However, I need to be able to default the page name to something that will be unique, so people don't constantly get duplicate page name errors when they type in their own version of the name.  e.g. A page name of 'Testing 101 - Jo Bloggs - 2017' i.e. '<template name> - <userFullName> - <currentYear>. 

The 'Create from Template' macro currently seems to allow use of only three variables...  @currentDate, @spaceName or @spaceKey. Is this correct? Can I not get access to $userFullName? or other standard variables?

I have seen a thread for enabling other variables on the server version, but as the Cloud restricts access to User Macros, I am unable to implement it. Refer Jennifer Phelan's answer on https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Confluence-questions/Is-it-possible-de-prefill-a-page-title-based-on-a-template/qaq-p/203821

I had thought of an alternative - that people could create these PD pages within their default personal spaces, but I would not be able to give their lead access to their PD pages so that they can collaborate & review together. 

Is my only option to set up a PD space for each person, so that page names are easily unique within that single purpose space?  Just wanted to confirm if this was my only real option, or not. 

1 answer

1 vote
Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 28, 2017

Hello Rose,

It is not possible to set variables in a page title in order to include defaults such as username. There is a feature request that would cover this need:

You can vote on the above request to help us gauge the popularity of such a request!

Indeed, Jennifer's response is for Confluence Server instances only, as it involves User Macros which are a restricted function of Confluence Cloud.

Do let us know if you have any questions about this.

Kind Regards,
Shannon

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events