Counfluence fails to start - Failed to initialize component [Connector[HTTP/1.1-8090]]

m.sancho April 16, 2019

Confluence fails to start. (Ubuntu 18 server)
Atlassian an Bitbucket work fine.

- When I reboot the server and ( sudo lsof -i -P -n | grep LISTEN ) I see the confluence user on port 8090. But it disappears after some seconds.

- Firewall is not blocking the Port

I found and tried this steps:

- chmod the confluence user
- disable all other atlassian (jira, bitbucket) products on the server
- check the ports 8000 and 8090 (are not beeing used by something else)
- change the confluence ports (8020, 8091)
- (re)start confluence with all apps temporarily disabled

This is the catalina.log I get:

16-Apr-2019 09:48:29.121 WARNING [main] org.apache.tomcat.util.digester.SetPropertiesRule.begin [SetPropertiesRule]{Server} Setting property 'debug' to '0' did not find a matching property.
16-Apr-2019 09:48:29.314 WARNING [main] org.apache.catalina.startup.SetAllPropertiesRule.begin [SetAllPropertiesRule]{Server/Service/Connector} Setting property 'debug' to '0' did not find a matching property.
16-Apr-2019 09:48:29.587 WARNING [main] org.apache.catalina.startup.SetAllPropertiesRule.begin [SetAllPropertiesRule]{Server/Service/Connector} Setting property 'debug' to '0' did not find a matching property.
16-Apr-2019 09:48:29.613 WARNING [main] org.apache.tomcat.util.digester.SetPropertiesRule.begin [SetPropertiesRule]{Server/Service/Engine} Setting property 'debug' to '0' did not find a matching property.
16-Apr-2019 09:48:29.622 WARNING [main] org.apache.tomcat.util.digester.SetPropertiesRule.begin [SetPropertiesRule]{Server/Service/Engine/Host} Setting property 'debug' to '0' did not find a matching property.
16-Apr-2019 09:48:29.719 WARNING [main] org.apache.tomcat.util.digester.SetPropertiesRule.begin [SetPropertiesRule]{Server/Service/Engine/Host/Context} Setting property 'debug' to '0' did not find a matching property.
16-Apr-2019 09:48:29.771 WARNING [main] org.apache.tomcat.util.digester.SetPropertiesRule.begin [SetPropertiesRule]{Server/Service/Engine/Host/Context} Setting property 'debug' to '0' did not find a matching property.
16-Apr-2019 09:48:30.420 INFO [main] org.apache.coyote.AbstractProtocol.init Initializing ProtocolHandler ["http-nio-8090"]
16-Apr-2019 09:48:30.453 INFO [main] org.apache.tomcat.util.net.NioSelectorPool.getSharedSelector Using a shared selector for servlet write/read
16-Apr-2019 09:48:30.472 INFO [main] org.apache.coyote.AbstractProtocol.init Initializing ProtocolHandler ["http-nio-8090"]
16-Apr-2019 09:48:30.473 SEVERE [main] org.apache.catalina.util.LifecycleBase.handleSubClassException Failed to initialize component [Connector[HTTP/1.1-8090]]
org.apache.catalina.LifecycleException: Protocol handler initialization failed    
at org.apache.catalina.connector.Connector.initInternal(Connector.java:935)

at org.apache.catalina.util.LifecycleBase.init(LifecycleBase.java:136)

at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardService.initInternal(StandardService.java:533)

at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardServer.initInternal(StandardServer.java:852)

at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.load(Catalina.java:633)

at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.start(Catalina.java:670)

at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)

at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:62)

at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)

at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:498)

at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.start(Bootstrap.java:350)

at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.main(Bootstrap.java:492)
Caused by: java.net.BindException: Address already in use    
at sun.nio.ch.Net.bind0(Native Method)

at sun.nio.ch.Net.bind(Net.java:433)

at sun.nio.ch.Net.bind(Net.java:425)

at sun.nio.ch.ServerSocketChannelImpl.bind(ServerSocketChannelImpl.java:223)

at sun.nio.ch.ServerSocketAdaptor.bind(ServerSocketAdaptor.java:74)

at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.NioEndpoint.initServerSocket(NioEndpoint.java:236)

at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.NioEndpoint.bind(NioEndpoint.java:210)

at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.AbstractEndpoint.init(AbstractEndpoint.java:1044)

at org.apache.coyote.AbstractProtocol.init(AbstractProtocol.java:540)

at org.apache.coyote.http11.AbstractHttp11Protocol.init(AbstractHttp11Protocol.java:74)

at org.apache.catalina.connector.Connector.initInternal(Connector.java:932)

13 more

16-Apr-2019 09:48:30.474 INFO [main] org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.load Initialization processed in 1588 ms
16-Apr-2019 09:48:30.496 INFO [main] org.apache.catalina.core.StandardService.startInternal Starting service [Tomcat-Standalone]
16-Apr-2019 09:48:30.497 INFO [main] org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngine.startInternal Starting Servlet Engine: Apache Tomcat/9.0.11

3 answers

0 votes
Moses Thomas
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 6, 2020

@m.sancho  @admin 

Even  better explanation,  In fact you need to look at the java process running on 8090 which is  the default  bind port.

Startup Fails Due to 'java.net.BindException Address already in use 

if you  want to have change the port, you would need to change server.xml

More also the redirect port should not be used by  another application/process

see the link, properly describe. Change listen port for Confluence 

You should be fine, and good luck.

Best regards,

Mo

0 votes
admin April 24, 2019

I have the same Problem, confluence was working fine and since a few days its making absolutly the same as you discrypt...

0 votes
Petr Vaníček
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 16, 2019

Hi,

what is output of command below?

netstat -pantu | grep 8090

Based on error line with 

Caused by: java.net.BindException: Address already in use

it looks like something another is using port and/or IP? 

m.sancho April 16, 2019

Hi Petr,
the command has no output for that port.
For testing purposes I called the same command with port 8080 (jira is running).

user@server:/# netstat -pantu | grep 8090
user@server:/# netstat -pantu | grep 8080
tcp6 0 0 :::8080 :::* LISTEN 1961/java
tcp6 1 0 <my-ip>:34956 <my-ip>:8080 CLOSE_WAIT 903/java
tcp6 1 0 <my-ip>:33936 <my-ip>:8080 CLOSE_WAIT 903/java

I have Jira, Confluence and Bitbucket running over the same IP.

Petr Vaníček
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 16, 2019

Can you share your server.xml (in code block)? There could be some misconfiguration I think. 

Like Cory Burns likes this
m.sancho April 16, 2019

Sure, here it is. I deleted the commented connectors.

<Server port="8000" shutdown="SHUTDOWN" debug="0"> 
<Service name="Tomcat-Standalone">
<!--
==============================================================================================================

DEFAULT - Direct connector with no proxy, for unproxied HTTP access to Confluence.

If using a http/https proxy, comment out this connector.
==============================================================================================================

-->

<Connector port="8090" connectionTimeout="20000" redirectPort="8091"
maxThreads="48" minSpareThreads="10"
enableLookups="false" acceptCount="10" debug="0" URIEncoding="UTF-8"
protocol="org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11NioProtocol" />

<Engine name="Standalone" defaultHost="localhost" debug="0">
<Host name="localhost" debug="0" appBase="webapps" unpackWARs="true" autoDeploy="false" startStopThreads="4">
<Context path="" docBase="../confluence" debug="0" reloadable="false" useHttpOnly="true">
<!-- Logging configuration for Confluence is specified in confluence/WEB-INF/classes/log4j.properties -->
<Manager pathname=""/>
<Valve className="org.apache.catalina.valves.StuckThreadDetectionValve" threshold="60"/>
</Context>

<Context path="${confluence.context.path}/synchrony-proxy" docBase="../synchrony-proxy" debug="0" reloadable="false" useHttpOnly="true">
<Valve className="org.apache.catalina.valves.StuckThreadDetectionValve" threshold="60"/>
</Context>
</Host>
</Engine>
</Service>
</Server>

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events