Copying spaces by exporting then importing

Brendan Andrews June 9, 2015

If I export part of one space can I import it into another?

Essentially I want to copy part of one space to use as the basis for another. I don't want to commence the process in case it doesn't give me the option to choose which space to import the xml into and then modifies the source space inadvertently.

So.. will this work and will I be given the option to choose which space is the target of the import? 

1 answer

0 votes
Jonathan Simonoff
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 9, 2015

I don't believe you can import a partial space or add things to a space – the space is specified in the XML export, and the imported space becomes a new space with that key (which must not exist before).

(When you export some pages from a space, it just becomes an export of the space with just those pages.)

I've read you can modify the key in the XML file, but I haven't tried it. Sounds like it would work.

Stephen Deutsch
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 10, 2015

Here's more information about the manual space copying process: https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/CONFKB/How+to+copy+or+rename+a+space+in+Confluence

Brendan Andrews June 10, 2015

Thanks Stephen - though we use Confluence Cloud so that add-on won't help us.

Stephen Deutsch
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 10, 2015

I wasn't referring to the addon, if you look further down there is a step 2 that describes how to perform a manual copy of a space.

Brendan Andrews June 10, 2015

Yes there is..! We've installed the paid plugin as a trial for now but I'll take a look at that for next time. Thank you!

Stephen Deutsch
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 10, 2015

I realize there is also a paid addon, I hope that works for you :)

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events