Confluence with custom header breaks edit preview on

Todd Day April 16, 2016

Confluence 5.9.7, using Firefox/IE/Chrome

Default Theme with Sidebar, using a header of any type, even just simply 'x'

Open a Confluence page, edit it, press preview.  Some crazy page is displayed where the Confluence menus are on the left half of the screen at the top with blank underneath, and the preview page appears crammed on the right side of the page.

This happens with any type of custom header applied.  Clearing the header customization makes the problem go away.

I have no customization on the site in terms of CSS/HTML/Stylesheets/Layouts/Themes/Color, etc.  I went through all of the theming options to make sure they were all set to defaults.  I have tried this on several different machines so I don't think it is a problem with my version of browser or any of my browser extensions or caching, etc.

This seems pretty repeatable with any page on our site that I try to edit.  The only thing notable about my site is that I recently upgraded from 3.5 to 5.0, then to 5.4, then 5.9.7.

Some parts of my site we are still using the Documentation theme.  There are no problem with Preview mode there.

5 answers

2 votes
JJ O_Brien February 7, 2018

Confluence CSS hides the sidebar in edit mode, but it appears the custom header and footer have been neglected.

The following CSS code can be added to space or global CSS to handle this.

Styling Confluence with CSS

body.contenteditor #custom-content-header {display:none;}
body.contenteditor #custom-content-footer {display:none;}

I have found a work-around for those who don't have access to the CSS overrides, but have the HTML Macro plugin. In The header/sidebar/footer add the following:

Header:

{html}<style>body.contenteditor #custom-content-header {display:none;}</style>{html}

Footer:

{html}<style>body.contenteditor #custom-content-footer {display:none;}</style>{html}

I will update the JIRAs with this info.

Viktor Bekkerman May 1, 2018

JJ, thank you for workaround. Since we do not have ability to change Confluence with CSS, and HTML Macro plugin is not available, we had to come up with the following workaround:

Edit any page and add Excerpt Macro.

Inside, add HTML Include Macro 

<style type="text/css">
  body.contenteditor #custom-content-header {display:none;}
  body.contenteditor #custom-content-footer {display:none;}  
</style>  

Save page

Now, edit either footer or header and add the following:

{excerpt-include:PageWithExcerpt|nopanel=true}

Peter Kernebone February 22, 2021

CSS solution worked a treat. Thanks.

0 votes
Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 28, 2016

I have reported this problem to Atlassian support. They created an issue for that: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/CONF-45380

0 votes
Todd Day April 16, 2016

Edit:  Happens on IE and Chrome, too.

Bob, thanks for the reply.  Now I know it probably isn't something leftover from my version jumping.

0 votes
Bob Swift OSS (Bob Swift Atlassian Apps)
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 16, 2016

I see this on Confluence Cloud with either Chrome or Firefox.

0 votes
Todd Day April 16, 2016

Here is some more information.  If after pressing Edit, you do a page reload, then press Preview, the problem does not occur.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events