Confluence will not start but Jira did

Josh Kirby August 6, 2018

I have a server that was running Jira and Confluence, the server got a disk full and VMWare froze it up. Now with everything restored with backups I am having trouble starting confluence. Jira starts fine. I have tried to start confluence as a service (what it was before) and also using the bash script. 

Any ideas what is happening? I use confluence a lot and would really like to get it back up and running ASAP

Here is the output of when I try to run the startup script:

To run Confluence in the foreground, start the server with start-confluence.sh -fg
executing using dedicated user: confluence
If you encounter issues starting up Confluence, please see the Installation guide at http://confluence.atlassian.com/display/DOC/Confluence+Installation+Guide

Server startup logs are located in /opt/atlassian/confluence/logs/catalina.out
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Using Java: /opt/atlassian/confluence/jre//bin/java
[Fatal Error] server.xml:54:54: The value of attribute "keystorePass" associated with an element type "Connector" must not contain the '<' character.
[Fatal Error] server.xml:54:54: The value of attribute "keystorePass" associated with an element type "Connector" must not contain the '<' character.
The value of attribute "keystorePass" associated with an element type "Connector" must not contain the '<' character.
The value of attribute "keystorePass" associated with an element type "Connector" must not contain the '<' character.
2018-08-06 11:50:47,085 INFO [main] [atlassian.confluence.bootstrap.SynchronyProxyWatchdog] The Confluence context path is empty. No further action is required.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Using CATALINA_BASE: /opt/atlassian/confluence
Using CATALINA_HOME: /opt/atlassian/confluence
Using CATALINA_TMPDIR: /opt/atlassian/confluence/temp
Using JRE_HOME: /opt/atlassian/confluence/jre/
Using CLASSPATH: /opt/atlassian/confluence/bin/bootstrap.jar:/opt/atlassian/confluence/bin/tomcat-juli.jar
Using CATALINA_PID: /opt/atlassian/confluence/work/catalina.pid
Existing PID file found during start.
Removing/clearing stale PID file.
Tomcat started.

EServer startup log:

29-May-2018 20:10:43.539 INFO [http-nio-8090-exec-10] com.sun.jersey.server.impl.application.WebApplicationImpl._initiate Initiating Jersey application, version 'Jersey: 1.19.4 05/24/2017 03:20 PM'
29-May-2018 20:10:51.866 INFO [http-nio-8090-exec-3] com.sun.jersey.server.impl.application.WebApplicationImpl._initiate Initiating Jersey application, version 'Jersey: 1.19.4 05/24/2017 03:20 PM'
29-May-2018 20:11:23.087 INFO [http-nio-8090-exec-3] com.sun.jersey.server.impl.application.WebApplicationImpl._initiate Initiating Jersey application, version 'Jersey: 1.19.4 05/24/2017 03:20 PM'
29-May-2018 20:16:38.279 INFO [http-nio-8090-exec-3] com.sun.jersey.server.impl.application.WebApplicationImpl._initiate Initiating Jersey application, version 'Jersey: 1.19.4 05/24/2017 03:20 PM'
Error: Could not find or load main class value

1 answer

0 votes
Timothy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 6, 2018

Your server.xml is borked at line 54.

Okay but what would cause that if I had not gone in and changed anything other than the system rebooting

Timothy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 6, 2018

Changes to the server.xml will only take effect after an application restart. It was changed one way or another.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 6, 2018

Someone editing it.

That file is only read when starting up, so someone may have changed it weeks or months ago, but you only found a problem when restarting Confluence the next time.

@Nic Brough -Adaptavist- I am the only one with access to the server. 

@Timothy I have not changed anything since then, I had set and forgot it for 3 weeks since I last rebooted it and was working fine until this reboot.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 6, 2018

Well, the file is broken and needs fixing, no matter how it got that way.  Could the loss of disk space have corrupted it?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events