Confluence's file attachment is not found

Nguyen Tran
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 22, 2018

Our Confluence is having problems with the attachments. All of the current attachments can't be found. New attachments work fine.

Attachment File Not Found

The attachment you were trying to download could not be found in the attachment file store. Either the file has been deleted manually or there was an error in removing the record of the attachment from Confluence.

If this attachment is no longer required you can delete it from Confluence on the attachments page. Otherwise, you will need to attach a new copy.

I'm trying to verify if my attachment is still there using <confluence url>/admin/findspaceattachments.jsp according to this link https://confluence.atlassian.com/doc/hierarchical-file-system-attachment-storage-704578486.html

However it says that my attachment configuration is not supported by this tool even when I'm using the filesystem configurationScreen Shot 2018-06-22 at 7.38.12 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-06-22 at 7.44.04 PM.png

Not sure if I can use the script in this link to recover my attachments

https://confluence.atlassian.com/confkb/how-to-resolve-missing-attachments-in-confluence-201761.html?_ga=2.42070245.1139377627.1529411417-1974222923.1522289081

1 answer

2 votes
Igor M.
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 22, 2018

Hello,

That KB is for a very old Confluence version, so it might not work on your current code.

I would recommend to first check the path that attachment is expected at inside <Confluence_home>/attachments folder (get path from URL or look for missing attachments errors in atlassian-confluence.log), if you can not find the file in the specified path then use the first part of the KB and see if you can locate the file from attachments ID. In cases where structure was changed due to migration, it could be that attachments are still in the system, but under slightly different path, if that is the case, then the script from the KB can be used in combination with DB query, as it's basically designed to locate attachments per ID and move them to the right directory. 

If you can't locate any files associated with attachment ID on the disk, then you should restore the contacts of attachments directory from backup, merging them with existing and then do a full re-index and if doesn't help, re-index from scratch. 
Few causes for missing attachments:

• Migration from one instance to another not completing correctly
  • Conversion from Standalone to Data Center without copying local to new shared home directory
  • Accidental removal of attachments folder contents
  • Change of Home directory from Confluence configuration without moving attachments to new Home directory.

Let me know how it goes

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events