Confluence page content getting duplicated

wesley_geddes June 10, 2020

Confluence Version 7.4.0

Over the last month I've had a couple pages start duplicating content on the same page. Looking at the Source editor shows that there is the following: 

<ac:layout>

<ac:layout-section>

//content

</ac:layout-section>

</ac:layout>

<ac:layout>

<ac:layout-section>

//content

</ac:layout-section>

</ac:layout>

They are exact duplicates. I've deleted the second section <ac:layout> on multiple occasions but it continues to come back. Any ideas as to what could be causing this? And what I can do to create a more permanent fix? 

15 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Thomas October 28, 2020

We also noticed this behavior a couple of times. The Atlassian Support linked us to CONFSERVER-59993 and CONFSERVER-59227.

I am afraid that there is no short-term solution. Both bugs have a low priority. Also here page contents change unexpectedly: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/CONFSERVER-55928

Using Synchrony does not make you feel safe. Atlassian should invest more effort when there is a threat of data loss or uncontrolled changes to pages.
For CONFSERVER-55928 the priority was increased from low to highest. For the current LTS version there is still no solution.

Confluence Server 7.4.0

Arthur Zonnenberg September 22, 2021

I must add that https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/CONFSERVER-59227 has highest priority and was reported as Solved, but users report differently.

Additionally https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/CONFSERVER-69074 also has highest priority and is still in progress. 

This issue still occurs regularly to me, but we're on an older version.

Like Darina likes this
Sebastian Spitzer July 29, 2022

We are on version 7.13.1 (server) and still have this error (CONFSERVER-59227) as well.

Others report that they still have the problem even with version 7.16.2.

Addendum: I assume that the problem will always be observed because the description of the cause shows that it is about the version in which a page was last created or changed, right?

Can someone tell me which version definitely solved the problem?

Andreas Schmitt October 6, 2022

We are on Server V7.18.3 and still the same effect. Its not that often but apears from time to time.

6 votes
Nicole Colyer
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
April 13, 2021

According to their backlog - they have closed these issues as Won't Fix! Our company is experiencing huge issues with not only duplicate page content, but now even triplicate page content. PLEASE re-open this issue for prioritization!

2 votes
wesley_geddes October 6, 2020

The only solution I've been able to find is to create a new page and recreate the content from the old page onto the new page. Copy/paste as LITTLE as possible. While it will happen on other pages, it seems to solve the original problem.

I'd still be interested in knowing why/how it happens so we can prevent it from happening again. 

1 vote
Inderpal Yadav March 16, 2021

I was about to log this same issue, however saw this, I am exactly facing the same issue. randomly in pages the content gets duplicated, and exact same content gets duplicate, this is really strange issue, we manually remove that content. Initially we thought this is issues from our side. Atlassian take this as priority and provide the fix. 

Inderpal Yadav August 18, 2023

Still no update,

0 votes
Brad Giles
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
August 18, 2023

This is definitely NOT solved, and is a huge problem. I love Confluence, but this is a big pain point that's been going on way too long.

Inderpal Yadav August 18, 2023

I share the same sentiment with you; this issue has persisted for over two years without any resolution.

0 votes
Paul Wijnen September 7, 2022

We experience the same issue, it seems that it duplicates in situations where content is altered but not published, in some pages it duplicates keeping the original data and the duplicate has the change. Cant reproduce it. People are getting frustrated by this bug and this is painfull as our organisation is looking to centralize tools, meaning negative feedback on stability is not good for continuing with confluence, hope this topic will be adressed/priotized

0 votes
rolland_vandersluis February 23, 2022

Also having the same problem with Confluence 7.4.11...   :-( 

I'm so tired of Atlassian pushing bad code to production, and ignoring bugs and missing features for so many years! How do I find a bigger stick to whack Atlassian and get them to do the right thing?

Jenny McCraw
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
May 4, 2022

7.4.1?  or 7.14.1?   Following because we have 7.14.1 and still having the issue..

0 votes
mfabris
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 15, 2022

Ping for interest, also happening to us

0 votes
Sven
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 4, 2022

Same here (7.12.2).

0 votes
nicolasrault November 25, 2021

Hi, same problem here with 

Confluence 7.13.0 and Chrome 96.0.4664.45

0 votes
Patrik July 1, 2021

Issue still persists on Confluence 7.8.1.

0 votes
Lars Migerode
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
June 7, 2021

Same problem here. Any updates on the ticket?

0 votes
dcarmine
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
January 27, 2021

Another user badly in need of a solution.   Editing this page becomes so slow it's no longer useable.

0 votes
Jake Burgy January 21, 2021

We are also experiencing this issue, still today.

How ridiculous that Atlassian considers a data corruption bug "low priority".

The content duplication issue seems to be somewhat random, we are not able to identify specific user actions or cases where it is occurring.

It seems to have only started after we migrated from 6.x to 7.x. We're on 7.4.0 currently.

Edit: This issue appears to have been bumped to highest priority, thankfully: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/CONFSERVER-59227

Inderpal Yadav March 16, 2021

Hi,

I am also facing the exactly same issue, it is random behavior where the content get duplicated in the few pages.

0 votes
Michael Ammann September 17, 2020

We also face this problem on our instances with Confluence version 7.4

robert_w1_smith September 30, 2020

I also have had users start to complain about this issue on our Confluence 7.0.2 server.  I'm also interested in an answer to this.

Michael Ammann October 1, 2020

The cause shoudn't be the content itself as it occures on different pages with completely different content.

Mathijs Mooij October 6, 2020

This is also happening to us. Running version 7.3.5. We are also very interested in a work-around/solution!

Sir Mārtiņš Vanags
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 27, 2020

I also noticed the same behavior a couple of times when updating the confluence page content.

Confluence Server 7.4.3

Google Chrome: Version 85.0.4183.121

But don't know how to repeat the behavior.

Ryan Dolan
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
October 30, 2020

Same here.  This has been an issue for a while and doesn't appear to be getting better, and it might just be frustration, but it feels like it's increasing.  Also, the fact that the bug has a low priority is pretty disappointing.  This is the equivalent of duplicate files being created and if you don't notice it right away, changes will get split between the copies, especially if you use Find to navigate pages and don't notice the duplication at first.  Extremely frustrating and been around through several major version updates now.

KentGran December 1, 2021

We're on 7.13.2 and it still occurs 

Like # people like this
Joe Hewitt
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
February 7, 2022

We are having similar issues at version 7.13.0. It appears CONFSERVER-69074 is addressing a similar issue in 7.15.0 and has been backported to 7.13.4. Giving it a try internally now. 

Jenny McCraw
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
May 4, 2022

Same issues happening with version 7.14.1.   Any update from Atlassian?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events