Confluence log error - Socket accept failed - Too many open files

stuartu March 11, 2012

I recently upgraded a copy of our Confluence 3.2.1 and upgraded to 4.1.6. This morning I installed the Plugin License Manager (plugin) and the Essentials Plugin Pack (from Adaptavisit) + licensed it.

I am now seeing the below message in our catalina.out file. I have bounced Confluence a few times, but still seeing these repeatedly. Is this a configuration parameter in my setenv.sh that needs to be tweaked, or perhaps a Linux issue (we are on RHEL 5.7). I can not see any errors in /var/log to show it is an o/s issue. Any suggestions appreciated.

12/03/2012 12:18:11 PM org.apache.tomcat.util.net.JIoEndpoint$Acceptor run
SEVERE: Socket accept failed
java.net.SocketException: Too many open files
at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.socketAccept(Native Method)
at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.accept(PlainSocketImpl.java:408)
at java.net.ServerSocket.implAccept(ServerSocket.java:462)
at com.sun.net.ssl.internal.ssl.SSLServerSocketImpl.accept(SSLServerSocketImpl.java:261)
at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.jsse.JSSESocketFactory.acceptSocket(JSSESocketFactory.java:178)
at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.JIoEndpoint$Acceptor.run(JIoEndpoint.java:352)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:662)

6 answers

1 accepted

4 votes
Answer accepted
BernardoA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 8, 2013

Actually this error could be a bunch of errors, but please check this KB that may help you:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRAKB/Loss+of+Functionality+due+to+Too+Many+Open+Files+Error

0 votes
RoBo April 30, 2013

We experience exact this issue after having upgraded from Confluence 4.3 to 5.1.3. No real strange things to see with lsof, ulimit is unlimited. maximum allowed open files is 800k (and this limit doesn't seem to be reached).

When this happens, then Confluence seems 'hanging'.

Solution not (yet) found... Idea's are welcomed...
Maybe this is a solution?

Andrei [errno]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 12, 2013

have you tried to update a number of open files per process? (bump it up from 1024)

Janet Albion
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 9, 2013

you might want to check what is the size of the maxThread in your tomcat's server.xml

0 votes
JamieA
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 13, 2012

You can check how many files are opened with lsof, and tweak your ulimit accordingly.

0 votes
stuartu March 13, 2012

No, unfortunately that is all there is.

0 votes
stuartu March 13, 2012

No, unfortunately that is all there is.

0 votes
David at David Simpson Apps
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
March 13, 2012

Is that the full stack trace? Or are you missing soem of it?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events