Confluence: how to remove previous installs to start fresh install?

joespr March 6, 2013

I was tasked with installing Confluence on a Linux Ubuntu 11.04 box that has Jira running (successfully).

However, I see some attempts sometime in the past by others that were made (by others) that installed an older version and a recent version of Confluence. Neither was used. My goal is to remove these older installs and install fresh.

The older version is 3.5.7 (looks like installed under /opt/confluence/ ) and the newer version install is 4.2.4 (looks like installed to /usr/local/confluence-4.2.4 ).

However (alas...) I did not know these were installed when I ran the atlassian-confluence-4.2.4.bin this morning without error; I discovered the previous installs after I ran it. However, I dont find any files with today's date (including logs).

So. What is the right way to rid this system of all installs of Confluence without disturbing Jira (so I can start again)?

Thanks,

Joe

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Davet March 7, 2013

You have answered your own question correctly ;)

Since you are on a discovery mission it may well pay to check the mysql settings because there are quite a few tweaks that can/should be made to a stock mysql install that may or may not have been done.

The same might also apply to your java settings.

0 votes
LuizA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 6, 2013

Hello Joe,

The best way here would be to remove the all the folders related with the old install (/opt/confluence/ and if you find another folder related also remove) and then check if there's some service running associated with this old Confluence install, you could check the services in the linux server that Confluence was installed, a simple check like this one:

#ps -aux

or also:

#service --status-all

This will depends on your Linux platform, but generally are commands like these. After you remove the folders and check that there's no Confluence service running and associated with your old install, you'll be okay.

Hope this helps.

Kind Regards,

LJ.

joespr March 6, 2013

Thanks LJ.

I notice a directory /var/lib/mysql/confluence can I also delete that without harm?

joespr March 7, 2013

Answering my own question: need to drop the database inside of mysql; that automatically deletes files in /var/lib/mysql/confluence

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events