Confluence book

diego diego June 20, 2011

Hi,

exists some complex book for developer about confluence? I want create some plugin to confluence, but information on site are insufficient.

Thx a lot for answer.

7 answers

1 accepted

6 votes
Answer accepted
Gary Weaver
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 20, 2011

Don't see any books on Confluence in Amazon as of June 21, 2011, but perhaps that could change in the future.

There is a related question with some discussion about what resources Atlassian could provide to developers, but I think the main points for development could be summarized as:

• Probably want to get familiar with Java and Maven to a decent extent before taking development on.
  • Read everything in the official Atlassian documentation for Confluence development.
  • Note that Confluence has historically developed very rapidly, so books are not the best media to stay up to date with development.
  • If you are not/cannot become the person associated with the account that owns the Confluence license at your place of employment, then buy a 10-user license for Confluence if possible. This may provide you with access to their source code which is good for examples.
  • Look at open source plugins hosted by Atlassian for examples. Note that if they are not up-to-date, they might not be as useful.
  • Stay abreast of Confluence news and development by checking out the answers site regularly, watching the forums/lists (for as long as they last), reading developer blogs, and searching the Atlassian official and community driven wikis about Confluence development.
  • If your company can sponsor you or you can afford it, go to AtlasCamp, etc.
  • Email Atlassian developer relations if it is something that you don't want to post on answers.atlassian.com.
1 vote
Hereward Dundas-Taylor June 15, 2012

I have a book on Confluence! Can I shout that?

I HAVE A BOOK ON CONFLUENCE!!!

I won it at the Atlassian seminar last month. You can get it on Amazon. I highly recomedn it and I am buying copies for my staff. I hope she writes more on the Atlassian products.

Books and reference manuals are not out of date because of you tube and other sites. Rather than having a monoploy on indirect instruction, they are now an important alternative to all the new methods.

See:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/1937434001

0 votes
Blaise Dunn May 11, 2020

How is it that the most recently published actual book on Confluence is 7 years old already? Has anyone got any better links to anything published close to this decade? I'm searching high and low to no avail.

0 votes
dy raffy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 23, 2012

Greate question Diego,

me too I would like to have a book about "how to develop for Confluence" or something like that. I have been searching for it but without success. It sounds like a new job for the Confluence Team in Sydney :-). Or maybe for some expert like Gary.

Raffy

Gary Weaver
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 23, 2012

I'm no expert! :) Would be great for someone to write a book, though. I would think that the more active long-term developers at a few of the Atlassian partner companies could provide some great insight. However, one thing for sure is that the book(s) would have to be updated fairly regularly. Atlassian APIs change frequently! This is why Atlassian's wiki is a great primary source for information.

dy raffy
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 23, 2012

Yeh, that is true.

0 votes
diego diego June 20, 2011

Documentation about storing / persisting is for me insufficient...

http://confluence.atlassian.com/display/CONFDEV/Persistence+in+Confluence

Shown ways to persist information are insufficient described... I need more details how its work, accessing to store info between plugins, more usages examples and other...

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 20, 2011

I'm not aware of any books about Confluence at all. There are a number that are about Wikis in general which do cover it as part of the subject, but the chapters I've seen are aimed at users, best usage/practice and process, there's nothing for developers specifically.

Could you tell us what parts of the developers documentation is insufficient? You might have simply missed something that does cover what you need.

David at David Simpson Apps
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
June 20, 2011
This looks like a job for K15t Software's PDF & EPUB exporters :)

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events