Confluence Sever: Importing a space backup

Jeffrey Bistrong
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 4, 2019

I would like to confirm that below link will not overwrite any existing spaces if I import a space backup into confluence server

https://confluence.atlassian.com/doc/restoring-a-space-152036.html

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Zak Laughton
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 5, 2019

Hi Jeffrey,

(Based on your previous response:) If the import says it will overwrite the instance, DO NOT IMPORT IT! This likely means the export was a site export, which will overwrite everything on import.

There are two types of XML exports you can create in Confluence:

If you attempt to import a space, it will either import successfully or fail with a warning that another space with the same key exists. If you attempt to import a site, however, it will warn you that you are about to overwrite the site, then it will overwrite the site.

If the client wants a copy of a single KB, I recommend exporting the page to a PDF. You can also export a single space for them to import (both processes can be found at the "Space export" link above).

I hope this helps!
– Zak

0 votes
Marty
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 4, 2019

Hi Jeffrey,

I am not on the Confluence Team, but I will try to help.

In general, if you try and import a space with a spaceKey MYKEY it will attempt to create that space.  From memory if there is an existing space with that key then it will fail, I don't think it will overwrite it, but don't take that as 100%.

Can you test the import in a test environment?

I hope that helps!

Jeffrey Bistrong
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 4, 2019

Hi Martyn,

I would test but I am in a pickle. We have a confluence backup that we exported from our cloud version of confluence. One of our clients, wants a copy of our KB from our confluence instance and we gave them the backup.

They came back to me and said they can't import it due to the fact that it will overwrite their confluence instance. I just want to confirm that is not the case and send them the proper documentation.

Like Marty likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events