Confluence: Problems with JIRA issue macro

Elvir Hadzic
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 10, 2011

I can't get to display a JIRA Issuelist from our JIRA instance within confluence. I set up a trusted connection and all but it simply doesn't work. I allways get the message jiraissues: JIRA project does not exist or you do not have permission to view it.

I tried the example from Atlassian (http://confluence.atlassian.com/display/DOC/JIRA+Issues+Macro)<span< a=""> class="error">which works like a charm. I also found someone with the same problem who managed to resolve it but sadly he/she didn't say what they did: http://forums.atlassian.com/message.jspa?messageID=257362734

Does anyone have an idea what the problem could be?

11 answers

1 vote
Kevin Delahunt March 26, 2015

I fixed this issue myself.

In my case I had created a filter in JIRA that no one else was allowed to see. So when creating the macro as an admin, I chose this filter and it worked for me. But it didn't work for my colleague. As soon as I shared the filter with everyone in Jira, it worked for my colleague.

1 vote
Martin Cooper
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 12, 2011

Not sure what else to suggest (apart from upgrading and using the new Application Links :) )

• Trusted Relationship created in both apps so set in Jira and Confluence
  • Users the same in both applications
  • User has the right permissions in Jira to browse issues
  • The Jira Issues Macro is enabled (Check in the Plugins section of Confluence admin)
  • The Jira issue macro is set up correctly with right URL
  • Base urls are set correctly

The error message you mentioned earlier suggests that the url is not correct, as it can't understand the request being made. Whether this is a sympton of another issue or not is hard to tell.

If you are using SSL on both applications then they need to both have access to the same certificate (regardless of who its from), if on same server make sure they are using the same Java instance (and keystore). If on different servers import the cert into both.

I would expect to see a different error if that is the case, but can't rememeber of top of head the behaviour of those versions.

1 vote
Martin Cooper
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 11, 2011

https may be the culprit.

You need to add your certificate to the Java keystore , but would expect to see an error on trying to create the Application link. Are you running tomcat on https (port 8443) or using Apache (443) to front?

The other aspect I would check is that the base URL for both applications is set correctly as this can throw out gadgets /macros if is differnet to the url being used to access the app.

Also can you supply versions of the tools being used as well.

0 votes
Glenn Engel January 27, 2016

I had this same error but my problem ended up being caused by the user having different login names on confluence and jira.  While the oauth trust was established and worked for all users who had the same login name, it would not work for those who had different names.  One fix is to delete the link, re-create it and then not enable oauth.  This will require each user to authenticate when viewing the issues macro and have individual oauth tokens stored in their profile.  The other fix is to of course rename the user to be the same which is easy to do in Jira6.  This is what I did.

0 votes
Richard Yale
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 12, 2011

What we found out is that you need to delete all previous connections and then do the setup through JIRA and make sure you use the reciprocal link to connect back to Confluence. This will set up the connections for both JIRA and Confluence at the same time.

Elvir Hadzic
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 12, 2011

I'm sorry but I'm afraid to not be a 100% sure about what you mean. Could you elaborate this a little bit further? Do you mean I should just delete the "trusted connection" in JIRA and set it up again (I tried) or is there more to it?

Thanks a lot!

0 votes
Elvir Hadzic
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 11, 2011

Must have overlooked this but i found the following error:

ERROR [http-192.168.15.17-443-27] [confluence.extra.jira.JiraIssuesMacro] throwMacroException com.atlassian.confluence.extra.jira.exception.MalformedRequestException: Bad Request

But I think this is just another way of saying "project not found/no access"..?

0 votes
Penny Wyatt (On Leave to July 2021)
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 11, 2011

Are there any interesting errors in the logs?

0 votes
Elvir Hadzic
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 11, 2011

Thanks, I will check up on all of that and get back to you as soon as I have gathered all the information. What I can say for now is that tomcat runs on https but I changed the port to 443 and that the base URLs are correct. Also, I use Confluence 3.4.7, JIRA 4.2.3 and the macro is 2.8.21

I'm not entirely sure if the certificate is in the keystore but I will check on that. Is that even necessary if you have one signed by an official certificate authority?

0 votes
Elvir Hadzic
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 11, 2011

Thanks for the tips so far! Unfortunately I should have read access for those projects. My user name is the same and I can see the issues just fine when I'm logged in to JIRA.

Also, if I enter the URL in the browser I get directed to the right XML document. I'm sure I got the right URL.

Maybe it's worth mentioning that both, JIRA and Confluence, use https. Could this be a problem for the macro? I don't think it should but I don't want to rule it out to early on...

0 votes
Azwandi Mohd Aris
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 11, 2011

Since you are using trusted app, do you have the same username in both JIRA and Confluence?

0 votes
Martin Cooper
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 10, 2011

The trusted connection will use the identity of the person logged in, in confluence to retrieve the issues from Jira. That user must have permission in Jira to View the issues, or you must have Jira setup to allow anonymous viewing.

Check the permissions on the Jira Project to confirm if that user has a relevant role on the project.

Elvir Hadzic
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 11, 2011

Must have overlooked this but i found the following error:

ERROR [http-192.168.15.17-443-27] [confluence.extra.jira.JiraIssuesMacro] throwMacroException com.atlassian.confluence.extra.jira.exception.MalformedRequestException: Bad Request

But I think this is just another way of saying "project not found/no access"..?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events