Confluence LDAP - How to change all permissions for one group to another?

Felix Grund (Scandio)
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 15, 2014

I'm having a very large Confluence installation, where one very large group (say group A) is synchronized from LDAP. We now have a second group (say group B) that has the same users in LDAP and is synchronized with Confluence as well. We are now searching for the best way to change all permissions in Confluence associated with group A to group B. Afterwards, we aim to delete group A in LDAP. This is essentially a way to rename the group A to B.

Questions:

1. Is this a proper strategy or is there a better way to achieve this?
  2. If it's a good way, what SQL statements do we have to perform? At the moment, I assume the tables CONTENT_PERM and SPACEPERMISSIONS are affected? Are there more?

Our environment:

• Confluence 5.1.5
  • Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard
  • MSSQL 2008

Thank you very much in advance for any hints!

6 answers

0 votes
Liston Ogana June 3, 2014

Hello,

Could you provide the script you used to get this done. I have the same problem however the scrip provided in JRA-1391 is not particularly working for me.

Thank you!

0 votes
Felix Grund (Scandio)
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 13, 2014

I actually solved this problem using my initial approached described in the question. All other methods seemed inadequate.

0 votes
Davin Studer
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 21, 2014

You might be able to do this in a better fashin than with SQL. The official API's can do this kind of thing. I qwould recommend looking into the Confluence Command Line Interface as it implements those API's in an easy to use fashion.

0 votes
Felix Grund (Scandio)
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 21, 2014

No ideas?

0 votes
Felix Grund (Scandio)
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 15, 2014

I do not understand. The answer marked as solution says I should run this SQL:

Update cwd_group set group_name='<new_group_name>', lower_group_name='<new_group_name>' where lower_group_name='<old_group_name>';

However, this won't touch any permissions in the CONTENT_PERM and SPACEPERMISSIONS tables. So these will still point to the old group. Or am I missing something? Actually I do not really want to "rename" a group. I want to change all group permissions of one group to another.

0 votes
Tiago Comasseto
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 15, 2014

Hi, I belive you're in the same situation is this other question: https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/98523/need-to-rename-group

Cheers

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events