Confluence Crazy Template Idea.

Damian Ball
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
October 16, 2013

Hi Everyone,

First time poster, long time confluence fan.

I work for an IT Services provider and we rely very heaily on confluence for our client documentation. We use it pretty well with lots of Data being pulled into confluence from our Remote Management tool, and our ticketing system. It all works well, and all is well managed through templates etc.

I'd like to take things one step further though. The challenge we face is that if we want to , add a new field or table to our client documentation, we currently add it to the template, so any new client documentation has it, but we need to then go and add the change manually to our many hundreds of existing clients documentation. Really frustrating!

What I'd really like to be able to do is get my technical staff to set up some sort dynamic template whereby if there is an update on the template, it automatically populates the change to all the client documentation pages (assuming we merge all our existing data into the new dynamic template). We could then run reports on areas with missing data and update our info easily and methodically. This would signficanly reduce documentation overhead on our business. I'm not terribly technical, so please excuse me if I'm not making sense.

Any advice is appreciated, and I welcome Questions if you need more detail.

Thanks,

Damian

2 answers

1 vote
Bob Swift OSS (Bob Swift Atlassian Apps)
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 16, 2013

Have you tried live templates from the Scaffolding plugin?

0 votes
CharlesH
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 16, 2013

Bob's suggestion is the way to go here.

To get an insight into the use of Scaffolding, you can read this blog article where we describe how we've used Scaffolding to construct a company Glossary which is easily maintained.

http://blogs.atlassian.com/2013/01/how-to-building-a-company-glossary-with-confluence/

The Reporting plugin from the makers of Scaffolding will help you in analysing which pages have missing data.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events