Confluence 7.4.0 can't connect to SQL Server

tamarayee May 8, 2020

I'm getting this error in the Confluence app log:

com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerException: The driver could not establish a secure connection to SQL Server by using Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) encryption. Error: "The server selected protocol version TLS10 is not accepted by client preferences [TLS12, TLS11]".

Any thoughts on where the problem is? Is it the SQL Server that can't accept secure connections, or is the fault in Tomcat or the JRE? What is determining the "server selected protocol version"? Any direction would be great.

I'm running on Windows Server 2012 R2, SQL Server 2014 (12.0.2000.8 (X64)), upgrading from Confluence server version 5.x to 7.4.0. The SQL Server is on the same server as Confluence. The database works fine from SQL Server Management Studio using the same username and password as configured for Confluence. I've applied the latest required Windows Updates + some optional .NET Framework updates. I've not yet applied the service packs for SQL Server 2014.

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Moses Thomas
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 8, 2020

@tamarayee 

This errors occurs due to the fact that new JVM arguments are introduced in the later version as TLSv10 is no longer secure:

It looks like you have fall into similar issue here, you can apply the workaround here.

Confluence 7.1.0 throws "Can't reach database server or port" error when connecting to Microsoft SQL server 

Kind regards,

Mo

tamarayee May 8, 2020

Thanks very much for your reply! I actually did find that. I updated setenv.sh based on that. Oops, I guess that was only for Linux :P

I updated that successfully, and now I get this. This seems like a bad error :( The SQL login configured in confluence.cfg.xml currently has the sysadmin role on the SQL Server.

com.atlassian.confluence.upgrade.UpgradeException: Upgrade task com.atlassian.confluence.upgrade.upgradetask.MsSqlServerAoUpgradeTask@7b7446b3 failed during the SCHEMA_UPGRADE phase due to: StatementCallback; uncategorized SQLException for SQL [DROP INDEX "AO_6384AB_FEATURE_METADATA_AO"."index_ao_6384ab_fea1458039816";]; SQL state [S0007]; error code [3701]; Cannot drop the index 'AO_6384AB_FEATURE_METADATA_AO.index_ao_6384ab_fea1458039816', because it does not exist or you do not have permission.; nested exception is com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerException: Cannot drop the index 'AO_6384AB_FEATURE_METADATA_AO.index_ao_6384ab_fea1458039816', because it does not exist or you do not have permission.

After restarting again, I get a bunch of these:

com.atlassian.confluence.upgrade.UpgradeException: Upgrade task com.atlassian.confluence.upgrade.upgradetask.DropSpaceGroupTablesUpgradeTask@3183b1b failed during the SCHEMA_UPGRADE phase due to: null

Any ideas?

To get around a certificate error I was getting, I added "secure=false" to the JDBC connection string in confluence.cfg.xml. Could that cause problems? 

Moses Thomas
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 8, 2020

@tamarayee  Actually NO, There is for Windows  please check the link properly,  you have updated file for Linux ;) ,  you must undo what you have change in that file  and apply work around mentioned for Windows

tamarayee May 8, 2020

Hi @Moses Thomas are you referring to setenv.sh? I said I realized that and did the Windows solution successfully. It revealed another problem I mentioned. Can you help with that too?

Like Moses Thomas likes this
Moses Thomas
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 8, 2020

@tamarayee 

Aaa Ok now i get your text. This Bug is a Known issue, I assume the you  have Confluence below  5.10.9 you have mentioned 5.x,  further ticket info   is  registered here.

Upgrading Confluence v5.0.3 to v7.2 fails on MS SQL Server 

Workaround

Upgrade to 5.10.9 and then upgrade to 7.4.0 using installers

Kind regards,

Moses

tamarayee May 8, 2020

@Moses Thomas Thanks! Do I need to roll back first, or can I just try installing 5.10.9 over the current installation?

Moses Thomas
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 8, 2020

@tamarayee  In-fact i can't propose  installing 5.10.9 over the current installation rollback  is  better so  you don't fall into mess. I hope that you have backup  your Confluence  before  upgrade.

Here is a guide to perform roll back then upgrade ->  5.10.9 -> 7.4.0

How to roll back to a previous version of Confluence 

Good luck and please give feed back.

Kind regards,

Mo

tamarayee May 8, 2020

@Moses Thomas Thank you SO much! I'm up and running! There are still a lot of errors in the logs, but it seems to work from the user's perspective, so I hope it doesn't matter.

Like Moses Thomas likes this
Moses Thomas
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 8, 2020

@tamarayee  Great i am happy :) , Just like every application  there are errors base on several actions(such as POST, GET, HEAD request, out going mails, incoming and so on...)  some of  the errors are normal  and does no harm  to  Confluence but some need to  be fix  by configuring Confluence properly  so you will need to  separate errors that are threat to performance and those that are not and  then fix  them one by one. But since you are up and running then we should smile.

Have a great weekend ahead.

Kind regards,

Mo

Like tamarayee likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events