Confluence 4.0 says "Could not open Hibernate Session for transaction" and "GenericJDBCException: Cannot open connection"

Asmo Tuomisto October 3, 2012

Hi!

We have Confluence 4.0 and it's using MySql-database. Once for a while it crashes and we must reboot it. Sometimes when shutting it down fails and trying to start again it says:

Error occurred during initialization of VM 
Could not reserve enough space for object heap

But that is maybe a different issue. When checking the logs I find error messages:

SEVERE: Exception Processing ErrorPage[errorCode=500, location=/500page.jsp]
org.apache.jasper.JasperException: org.springframework.transaction.CannotCreateTransactionException: Could not open Hibernate Session for transaction; nested exception is net.sf.hibernate.exception.GenericJDBCException: Cannot open connection

What could couse this? And what could solve the problem?

One more thing that wonders me:

# ls -la
lrwxrwxrwx.  1 root root   18 Jan 17  2012 confluence -> confluence-3.5-std
drwxr-xr-x. 13 1506 root 4096 Oct  3 09:48 confluence-3.5-std

There seems to be difference in permissions between actual confluence-folder and its virtual path..

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Harry Chan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 4, 2012

Hi Zacharias,

Your error on shutdown is a result of a lack of memory. Tomcat actually requires the same amount of memory to startup and shutdown to some extent and so in effect you need almost double the minimum memory required.

2 votes
AlysonA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 3, 2012

Hi Zacharias,

The most concerning errors seems to be the "Cannot Open Connection" one, and for that we have this KB: https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/CONFKB/Unable+to+Start+Due+to+net.sf.hibernate.exception.GenericJDBCException+Cannot+open+connection

It usually indicates that your instance cannot reach the database, but there are another possible causes that it's worth to check.

Hope it helps.

0 votes
NicoDeluxe January 28, 2015

In my case its postgres, the postgres service stops after some hours but i dont know why, after restart it works again

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events