Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Companion App not launching desktop app (only shows in Preview)

Paul Davis October 21, 2020

I've installed the companion app on my Mac.  I'm using Chrome.  The app shows up in my toolbar at the top of my screen.  When I go to an Excel spreadsheet and click "Edit File" it takes me to the Preview screen of the spreadsheet with no options at the top for Editing In...or any other of the Companion menu options I've seen in screen shots.  

It looks like it's talking to the Companion App because there are updates to the log file (see below), but nothing is happening.  It doesn't open in my desktop app and it doesn't give me any options on the Preview screen of the spreadsheet.

Any ideas?

Paul

info: adc:websocket 2020-10-21T17:16:36.814Z received message: {"type":"new-transaction","payload":{"transactionType":"file"},"requestID":36}
info: adc:websocket 2020-10-21T17:16:36.832Z received message: {"transactionID":"67ef1bbd-d177-4095-9fd6-435ac5bf7780","type":"list-apps","payload":{"mimeType":"application/vnd.openxmlformats-officedocument.spreadsheetml.sheet","extension":"xlsx"},"requestID":37}
info: adc:websocket 2020-10-21T17:16:36.832Z received transaction message for: 67ef1bbd-d177-4095-9fd6-435ac5bf7780
info: adc:transaction:67ef1bbd-d177-4095-9fd6-435ac5bf7780 2020-10-21T17:16:36.832Z handling apps list request {"mimeType":"application/vnd.openxmlformats-officedocument.spreadsheetml.sheet","extension":"xlsx"}

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Alex K
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 21, 2020

@Paul Davis 

The logs that you have shown here mean that Confluence is successfully connecting to Companion. 

In Confluence Cloud, there is a new modern previewer that doesn't include the Companion integration. However, the preview window that is opened in Confluence is not in any way linked to whether or not Companion is running. Could you please share a screenshot of the file preview where you can't see the "Edit With" button?

Also, could you please try launching "Edit file" from the attachments page (screenshot attached for how to do this) ?

attachments_page_cloud.pngattachment_page_edit_cloud.png

Paul Davis October 22, 2020

Hi Alex - sure, here is a screenshot of the screen that pops up when I click Edit File within the page (you can see there is no "Edit With" button:

preview screen.png

But when I try it through the Attachment link as you suggested it does work (screen shot below).  So it seems like it does not work when I try to Edit the file from a page from within the Attachments widget.  Is that a bug or is that something I can resolve on my side?

attachment edit.png

Alex K
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 22, 2020

Hi @Paul Davis ,

This is a bug as the previewer is not loading completely from the attachments macro. I just raised the following Confluence Cloud bug ticket: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/CONFCLOUD-70990

Regards,
Alex

Paul Davis October 23, 2020

Thanks Alex.   Appreciate the quick response.  I will close this question as the workaround is working for me.
Paul

Like Alex K likes this
0 votes
Paul Davis October 21, 2020

One other bit of info that I just discovered that may or may not help...

If I quit the Companion App from the toolbar, then go back to Confluence and click "Edit File", it will prompt me to install the Companion App.  Instead of re-installing, I launch the Companion App manually and the pop-up goes away and it asks me if I want to open the file in Excel.  I say Yes and it opens fine.  But it only works once.  The next time I try to click Edit File, it goes back to just showing Preview with no options to open in Excel.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events