Comment section - reply option disappeared

Joe Stock May 4, 2018

Since a version upgrade, all comments on our confluence site have lost the "Reply" link underneath. The only option we can see below a comment is "delete".

I have check our general config and nested comments is enabled. For the space permissions, both add and delete comments is ticked.

Does anybody know what else I should be looking at to resolve this?

Many thanks

1 answer

0 votes
Danyal Iqbal
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 4, 2018

is this reproducible with all browsers`? Ie?

which confluence version did you upgrade to?

Search the confluence logs for exceptions. One of the plugins might be misbehaving.

Joe Stock May 4, 2018

The problem happens in all browsers.

Confluence is now v6.1.4

In the log I can see some Java exceptions, could they be affecting the comments, or are they most likely unrelated?

Thanks

Joe Stock May 4, 2018

I think I've found a relevant log entry. "Silly Signatures" is the forum post we've been testing with the comments.

2018-05-04 13:01:58,617 ERROR [http-nio-443-exec-5] [[Standalone].[localhost].[/].[file-server]] log Servlet.service() for servlet file-server threw exception
 -- referer: https://dbserver2/display/forum/Silly+Signatures?focusedCommentId=68682380 | url: /s/415bc0e6bf54057723daf56ac0e82c28-CDN/en_GB/7110/0027c2fcaf4e08638b7c982f7d0fde1dc3cf2411/202d8b7702b05fc676ce55da19bbc575/_/download/contextbatch/css/editor,macro-browser,-_super,-atl.general,-viewcontent,-main,-page,-atl.comments/batch.css | traceId: c8b8abc3ec462b19 | userName: admin
java.lang.RuntimeException: org.apache.catalina.connector.ClientAbortException: java.io.IOException: An established connection was aborted by the software in your host machine

Danyal Iqbal
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 4, 2018

Something else on your machine is terminating the connection. Check firewalls, antivirus etc. And check the compatibility of plugins with the v6.1.4. You might need to update the plugins as well. (Manage add-ons).

A detailed log might be helpful here .

Joe Stock May 9, 2018

Thanks for your feedback Danyal. I think the logs I pasted might be misleading. They are certainly something I need to investigate, but I'm not 100% convinced they are the cause of this issue.

I was inspecting the page elements and noticed that the reply item is present, but not visible.

Please see below screenshot. Red arrow pointed to the hidden "reply" link. I have highlighted the date element which is showing as expected.

Capture.PNG

Do you have any suggestions of what could be making "Reply" invisible?

Many thanks

Danyal Iqbal
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 9, 2018

Hi,

Can you expand the reply-comment div and paste the complete code here. Is there a css display tag in the div?

Can you copy the link in the href and access it in a new window? are you able to make a comment in this fashion?

Can you try to show it by force? Go to the browser developer console and enter $(#reply-comment-xyz).show();

I would recheck this as well:

And check the compatibility of plugins with the v6.1.4. You might need to update the plugins as well. (Manage add-ons)

Joe Stock May 9, 2018

Here is the expanded reply-comment div -

Capture2.PNG

I'm logged in with different permissions, so edit and remove are showing, and work as normal.

I've tried browsing to "https://server/pages/replycomment.action?commentId=68682338&pageId=68682321" but it did not work. Should the format be different?

Maybe worth noting, I can reply to comments directly from notification email links.

In the console, I tried "$(#reply-comment-68682338).show();" but I'm getting illegal character errors. I pasted in hyphens to be sure. Not sure what else could be causing that error.

All plugins are up to date as far as I can see, both user add-ons and system.

Joe Stock May 9, 2018

When replying via the email notification, the (working) URL is:

https://server/display/forum/Silly+Signatures?replyToComment=68682338#comment-68682338

So quite different to what I was attempting before.

Danyal Iqbal
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 9, 2018

That is strange. Are you up for a short webex? I would like to have a look at the page.

Joe Stock May 9, 2018

Sure, post a link now if you like.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events