Changing an existing space blueprint

Alina Frey September 26, 2019

I would like to reuse the Decision space blueprint, and trying to customize it to our project's needs.

First, I changed the Decision space template by adding an extra row in the available table, let's say row "ID" and a new variable called $number, and saved the template,

Second, I created a page with a Create from Template button that launches the Decision Template.

When the template is launched by clicking the button, the "Track a decision" dialog box does not show the new added field. Finally, when I click "Create", the new page that is created shows the table with the new row that I wanted to add, but I cannot edit it, unless I save the page, and the edit it.

The questions that I have:

1. How can I modify the "Track a decision" dialog box?

2. If that is not possible, how do I create a custom dialog box that will feed the page template.

2 answers

1 vote
EPS Software Engineering AG October 2, 2019

Hi @Alina Frey 

Because of the limitation on template/blueprint functionality we developed the Page Tree Creator. We use it everyday to create multi-page trees with different variables. Also the Create Page Tree macro can be placed on pages and provides parameters like parent page, label to set, etc.

You can find the Page Tree Creator on the Marketplace.

Regards,
Stephan (CEO of EPS Software Engineering AG, the vendor of the Page Tree Creator)

1 vote
Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 30, 2019

Hello Alina,

Thank you for contacting us about this. Allow me to elaborate.

• Templates are Confluence pages with predefined content that you can use to create other pages based on that content. These can be modified in order to determine how future pages using that template should appear.
  • Blueprints are a set of templates and instructions that have been especially developed for that task. When you create a page using a Blueprint, it creates a set of pages using those templates, as well as performs the actions that it's been programmed to do (such as create an index page.)

If you need to modify a Blueprint in Confluence, it's only possible to edit the templates themselves, but not anything beyond that. See Blueprints > Customize blueprint templates for more details. The Track a decision dialogue is not part of any of the page templates, thus it's not possible to change.

You can develop your own Blueprints in Confluence, but it does require some coding experience to get started.

As a solution to your requirement, I would recommend using the Create from Template Macro. This allows you to embed a button in your page labeled with any dialogue of your choosing. This button will trigger the user to create a page using a specified template.

If you want to include a list of pages that were created using that template, set a label on the template (Create a Template > Labels). Then, display the content using the Content by Label Macro.

I hope that's clear, but do let me know if you have any questions about this.

Regards,

Shannon

Suresh Mantrala July 31, 2020

Hi Shannon

What if, we want user to select a user, inputs some labels, provide a due date via a wizard (pretty much like a DACI Blueprint), then we do not have any option. We cannot customize the DACI Blueprint or any other blue print. Are there any other options?

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 4, 2020

Hi Suresh,

Thanks for your follow-up on this.

The only thing you can edit in Confluence is the templates the Blueprint uses. The behavior you describe has to be done programmatically.

In that case, you can have a look at our Developer page on Blueprints:

If this is something you'd be interested in doing, you can also bookmark our Atlassian Developer Resources page in case you get stuck.

Let me know if you have any questions about that.

Take care,

Shannon

Like Suresh Mantrala likes this
Carlos Garcia Navarro
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 22, 2023

Hi there- quick follow-up question here: If you modify the templates associated to the blueprint, do they change globally, or at the space level?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events