Can't manage space permissions for spaces created by other administrators

Ivan O-Neill July 17, 2013

I am The Admin. As such, I would expect that I can Manage Permissions in the Confluence Admin pane.

However, another user created a space that when I click "Manage Permissions," I'm told "Not permitted."

This user is a member of a group I created called "admins." Admins have global permissions to be Confluence Administrators, including creating and restricting spaces and pages.

How do I ensure that all admins can Manage Permissions for all spaces?

Thank you.

4 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Abdulrazaq Mohammed Ali Omar
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 22, 2013

Hi Ivan,

I think you are affected by this bug , where a space admin can remove Confluence admin. I belive you will need to contact the admin in question and ask for access again to the space in question. In the future, you can actualy head over to Confluence administration > Space Permissions > Default space permissions, and ensure that admin group is part of the default space permissions for any newly created space.

Please vote for the bug to be fixed and feel free to add your comments there, as Confluence-administrator groups is restricted in OnDemand.

Hope that helps.

Ivan O-Neill July 22, 2013

Thanks Razaq,

I voted for the issue, but I'm not sure the user who created the space ever configured permissions to remove the group that had administrator access. Might have just been the default permissions, which I'm going to update now.

I believe addressing the bug you linked to will solve this issue. Thanks for the answer.

Abdulrazaq Mohammed Ali Omar
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 22, 2013

Most welcome Ivan. You can also create a support issue if you are unable to add your self as admin anywhere, we'll be glad to help.

0 votes
Aaron Hodge November 16, 2015

I found a work-around.  You can go to yourspace.atlassian.net/wiki/admin/permissions/viewdefaultspacepermissions.action then select Recover Permissions.  After that you'll be able to View and Admin that Space. 

0 votes
Prawal GUPTA August 5, 2015

I too have this problem. I have copied a space using a an Add On. I am unable to manage permissions on this space (or for that matter even see this space in Spaces main menu) even though I am an Admin.

0 votes
Septa Cahyadiputra
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 18, 2013

Hi Ivan,

In order to be a user that can access all space administrators without the need to be configured as the space administrators of the space is to be the member of confluence-adminsitrators group. Becoming the member of the mentioned group will automatically made the user a super-users.

If becoming a member of confluence-administrators is not applicable for all admins users it is necessary for you to configure each space permission to allow member of admins as space administrators.

Hope it clarifies your doubts.

Cheers,
Septa Cahyadiputra

Ivan O-Neill July 21, 2013

Hi Septa,

I think there's a problem with my admin account. My username is "admin", but I don't appear to be a member of the confluence-administrators group. In fact, it doesn't appear that any of our users is a member of the confluence-administrators group. I will file a support ticket.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events