Can I prevent a page from appearing in search results, while allowing its excerpt to be included?

Michael Faux October 18, 2016

I'm using Confluence Cloud. I have a page where I keep an excerpt, and some text explaining what the excerpt is for, and when to use it.

Can I prevent this page from appearing in search results, while still allowing my excerpt to be included in other pages?

I've modified my question and description after @Darren's original comments. I'm writing about this here because Atlassian says I don't have enough 'points' to continue contributing to the conversation via comments.

4 answers

2 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 19, 2016

You can't - the index itself contains information on who can see a page.  If a user can see a page, it is searchable for them, and you need them to be able to see it for excerpts to work for them.

1 vote
Stephen Deutsch
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 27, 2016

One option is to put that page in an archived space. It will still be searchable if someone clicks the box for "Search Archived Spaces", but won't show up otherwise.

Michael Faux October 27, 2016

Thanks Stephen. That's a nice work around for internal searching. Archived pages are still available to external search engines:

"Archiving a space has no effect on search results of external search engines. For example, a public space will still appear in Google search results."

https://confluence.atlassian.com/doc/archive-a-space-284368719.html

0 votes
darrenpegg
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 19, 2016

Scrap using Excerpts altogether.. You can't have a half way house here unfortunately.. smile

0 votes
darrenpegg
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 18, 2016

Just allow yourself access to that Space/Page - it will show in the search for you but shouldn't be searchable by anyone with no access.  Try page restrictions 1st, if not create a space specifcally..

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events