Can I create index for global template?

Nivedita September 16, 2019

I created a global template for my confluence portal. 

However since this is a frequently used template, I want to know if I can create an index page for this template? 

Or will an index page be automatically created for this template. 

3 answers

0 votes
Nivedita September 20, 2019

Hi Shanon, 

Thank you for the detailed explanation. Can you please elaborate on the difference between Blueprint and template? 

Regards,

Nivedita 

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 20, 2019

Hi Nivedita,

I sure can! A Blueprint is a set of templates. When you use a Blueprint, such as the Meeting Notes Blueprint, it 1) creates the meeting notes page and 2) updates the index page for that Blueprint or create one if it doesn't exist. So it's performing a set of tasks when you use that Blueprint. This is why programming knowledge is required for creating a Blueprint.

Templates are just one page. There's no set of actions taken when a Template is used, other than creating the page based on the Template itself.

I hope that's clear, but let me know if you have any questions about it.

Regards,

Shannon

0 votes
Nivedita September 19, 2019

Hi @Shannon S , 

I think you have not understood my question right.

My query is just like how all inbuilt templates have their own 'Default index page template' , (attached screenshot for reference) sha.pngis it possible to have one for the Global template?

Or is it that I have to create my own index template manually? 

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 19, 2019

Nivedita,

Thank you for providing clarification. So, do you want to change it so that when someone creates a simple blank page, using the default global template, it also creates an index page for that? 

In your screenshot, these are all Blueprints, and that's why they each have an index page. A regular template will not include an index page unless you have your users create pages using the Create from Template macro which I referred to earlier.

Blueprints work differently than templates, and in order to create your own Blueprint, you need to have some development knowledge. For more information, see Blueprints in Confluence Cloud.

Let me know if you have any questions about that.

Regards,

Shannon

0 votes
Shannon S
Atlassian Team
September 19, 2019

Hello Nivedita,

Nice to hear from you again, and I'm happy to help with this as well.

You can certainly create an index page for this template. 

Use the Create from Template Macro:

The Create from Template Macro

If you want to encourage the use of a specific template within a location, try the Create from Template macro.

This displays a button on a page, linked to a specific template. When someone clicks the button, the macro opens the editor, ready to add a new page, and adds content to the page based on the given template.

When you set up the Create from Template macro, you can specify which blueprint or user created template the macro should use, the name of the button displayed, and the space in which the new page will appear.

This is useful, for example, if you need each person in your team to fill out a weekly status report, and you want them all to be filed in the same place. Create an index page with the Create from Template Macro on it, and each of them only has to click the button, fill in their details, and publish. All the pages will live under the index page, and the index page itself will feature a sortable list of those pages. 

I hope that helps, but let me know if you have any questions.

Regards,

Shannon

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events