Can I create a document within Confluence that can be output to word or pdf?

Bill Duncan
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
April 12, 2018

I am looking to do some on-line collaboration between users to create documentation. Ideally, I would like to mirror Word's ability to have comments, accept changes, page numbering and indexing. It would even be better to have in a true collaborative environment. 

The bigger issue is that I would like to be able to generate a final document, with formatting into either Word or pdf format. It would be great to have a working table of contents that kept track of page numbering too, but that might be going a little too far. While it would be nice to have all our documentation electronic, it just isn't possible.

Is something like this possible in Confluence?

2 answers

1 vote
Deleted user April 13, 2018

Hi @Bill Duncan,

If you work with multi-page documents in Confluence, K15t Software provides a range of Confluence apps that makes that much simpler.

Managing multi-page documents can sometimes be difficult in Confluence, because there's no way to manage multiple pages as a single unit of content. That's where Scroll Documents can help – it lets you create documents from a tree of pages, and then lets you manage these documents as a single unit. For example you can manage versioning and change tracking on a document level.

You can also export these documents to Word and PDF – with full flexibility over styling – using Scroll Office and Scroll PDF Exporter.

You can still use Scroll Office and Scroll PDF Exporter without using Scroll Documents, but Scroll Documents makes managing the documents more simple.

If you'd like any more information, please reach out to us and we'll be happy to answer any questions. You can also request a demo for the apps I mentioned on the product pages I linked to.

Cheers, Tom.

0 votes
Scott Theus
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 12, 2018

Hi Bill, 

After you publish a document you can export it to Word or PDF using the ellipses in the top right corner. 

While editing the document there are also several tools under the "+" symbol on the tool bar, including adding a table of contents and "other macros." Confluence has several out of the box macros that may help, like "page index" under the Navigation icon. I haven't tried it yet, but the Info macro under the "+" symbol may allow your users to add comments.

Hope this helps, 

Scott

Bill Duncan
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
April 12, 2018

Thank you. I will give that a try on a test document and see if we can't figure it out. It can be frustrating sending a docx file back and forth when there is a tool that should do what we need right there.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events