Bulletted lists within numbered list in Confluence

Jennifer S January 2, 2012

Hello!!

I have a question in regard to numbered lists in Confluence. I know that numbered lists start over when there are blank lines involved. However, I am trying to create a list that looks like this in mark up:

# numbered line one
# numbered line two
# numbered line three
#* bullet
#* bullet
non bulleted info here
# numbered line 4

This is what generates:

1. numbered line one
  2. numbered line two
  3. numbered line three
    • bullet
    • bullet
      non bulleted info here
  4. numbered line 4

Does anyone know if there is a way to get rid of the indent on the non bulleted line without having the numbers start over on line 4? Entering any kind of blank space restarts the number sequence. Just wondering if there were any tricks out there. I appreciate any help!!

Thanks!

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
NielsJ
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 3, 2012

I think there is no possibility doing this via Wiki-markup. If you use plain HTML with the html-Macro you could define the second list's start index:

<ol start="4">
   <li>...</li>
</ol>

Jennifer S January 3, 2012

Nice, that works. THANK YOU!

Tom Erik Roberg February 4, 2014

Is this really the only option for continuing a numbered bullet list!?

I am often inserting diagrams/drawings etc in the middle of a bullet list, then the bullet list starts from "1." after the inserted item.

There must be an easier method? Why not?

0 votes
NancyAllison March 13, 2015

I'm using Confluence 5.7.

I can enter numbered steps by typing #, and I can switch to second-level ordering (lowercase alpha) by typing ##, but when I type #* to switch to a bulleted item, Confluence treats it like plain text. What am I missing?

I end each line by pressing Return.

Also, IS there a way to display the HTML code for a page, and simply edit in HTML? Didn't think I'd be pining for RoboHelp quite so soon . . .

Thanks for all suggestions.

Jennifer S March 13, 2015

IS there a way to display the HTML code for a page, and simply edit in HTML?

Nancy,

We use the Confluence Source Editor to accomplish what I believe you are asking..

NancyAllison March 13, 2015

To Jennifer, I guess this is the way I reply to you. I'm assuming Confluence Server means Confluence installed on your own server? I neglected to mention that we are using Confluence on Demand. Does this work with Confluence on Demand? Thanks.

0 votes
Steffen Heller
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 5, 2014

@Tom Erik:

If you enter your object after [Shift]+[Break] the numbered list will go on. But (as already said) the object will be indented then.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events