Backup Question

Bill Greer September 4, 2018

I have a backup of the xml file and I have a copy of the SQL Server database file.  Is that enough?  I really don't need the folder structure do I?  It's a very small instance and I was hoping I could get away with just the XML and database backup.

2 answers

2 votes
Tobias Anstett (K15t)
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 4, 2018

Hi,

I also think that the xml backup might be just ok for you. However please keep in mind that this has its limits especially if you include attachments ... which you have to do as you are not backing up the file system.

I always prefer a database backup strategy combined with file system backup strategy as described in https://confluence.atlassian.com/doc/production-backup-strategy-38797389.html

If you stick to the backup please make sure to move the backup files to a different server, otherwise a crash might affect both backup and production environment.

Best,
Tobias

0 votes
Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 4, 2018

Hello,

If you have the xml backup, then you do not need a database backup. They both serve the same goal. But you still need to backup the data and logos directories.

I know where the logo directories are.  Where are the data directories?

Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 4, 2018

They are both in the JIRA_HOME directory.

Thank you

Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 4, 2018

You are welcome! If I answered your question, kindly mark my answer as accepted.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events