Assimilate excerpts from within a page into one summary view

David Yu
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 18, 2012

Hi, I'm learning how to piece together a summary by joining up pieces of information scattered on my one single wiki page.

The end goal is to get something like what the multi-except plugin accomplishes but without the tediousness of labeling each excerpt a unique name.

For example, I can start tagging sections with the word {color} and then I can roll up all tagged sections marked {color} to the top.

I understand I can do this with scaffolding/reporting plugin. My initial trial hasn't succeeded so far but I can also tell right away that I don't like how scaffolding changes the edit screen of a page by turning some of the items I've marked into form fields.

Is there a more simple way to accomplish this that I'm not aware of? If not, I'll dig around scaffolding/reporting some more. I've looked into the metadata plugin, and the multi-excerpt plugin already.

Thanks!

1 answer

0 votes
David Yu
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 18, 2012

I was able to get this working using the scaffolding plugin on its own using only the macros {text-data} and {get-data}.

However, there are some disadvantages I'm learning about this.

1. My data is not saved in the wikitext itself so I have no revision history

2. Users have a two step edit process which may confuse them (Edit data, then Edit Layout)

I guess multi-excerpt plugin may be the way to go here.

David Yu
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 18, 2012

Actually, after playing with Metadata plugin some more, and reading the version 1 documentation, it actually does do exactly what I need.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events