Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are Codeowners reviewers added as standard approvers or default approvers?

Vikram Menon
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
September 26, 2024

Infra: Bitbucket Cloud, Common Library, different teams own specific folders/files.

Old Repo setup: Reviewer Groups, minimum 2 approvals for merging

New: 5 teams within teams.yaml, 30+ files within CODEOWNERS.

Questions: If a PR say modifies files from all 5 teams, are the reviewers from those teams added as standard or default reviewers whose approvals can allow merging? Would approvals from these contributors mentioned in the teams.yaml fill up the minimum approvals guards set by reviewer groups? Is there a way to clearly set this up as standard vs default?

Problem: These situations are not clearly called out in the docs; guideline on when and when not to use this feature (if it breaks reviewer groups controls)

1 answer

0 votes
Syahrul
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 29, 2024

G'day, @Vikram Menon 

Welcome to the community!

I'm not entirely sure I understand your questions. If I've misunderstood, please feel free to correct me.

Regarding Codeowners, they will only provide suggestions when a pull request (PR) is created. They are not automatically added as reviewers, unlike default reviewers who are automatically assigned when a PR is created.

To address the question of who can approve a PR for merging: any reviewer assigned to the PR can approve it. If the PR meets the branch permission criteria, it will be allowed to merge.

I hope this helps

Regards,
Syahrul

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events