Any way to create Jira issues from a Confluence page without specifying the project?

Andras Blake May 17, 2018

We host enterprise-wide non-functional requirements in Confluence. They are on pages, and can be applied to projects. Currently this requires a PMO or some other user who is responsible for managing requirements for a project to manually create a Jira issue in their project.

Current create Jira functionality is... ridiculous. You can create an issue with a Confluence page, but it creates a specific issue and links that page specifically to that one specific issue.

What we want is a button that a PMO can click, that lets them select their project and issue type, and then it pre-populates the Summary and Description.

All of the current "Add issue button" type of plugins that I see require the project to be specified in advance. But that limits the functionality to the point of being useless if you are using them on an enterprise-wide scale.

4 answers

0 votes
Fabian Hußl May 6, 2020

Hi, 

we released Viable Issues for server versions. The app adds the functionality to create Jira issues from an AUI button in Confluence.

Reference to our Marketplace documentation.

Regards,
Fabian

Andras Blake May 6, 2020

Sadly, if only the plugin was able to function in the necessary way, but the project mapping is too confined.

Project mapping

Define in which project the issue will be created. The user can not change this value while using the macro.

When the project mapping is set to "Auto", the issue will be created in a Jira project where the Confluence space key is the same as the Jira project key.

Default value: Auto

Possible values: All projects the user configuring the macro can access.

The problem with this is that you still have to define the project at the time of button creation, not on button click. It is either a specific one that you indicate, OR it is one that aligns with the Confluence space where the user clicks the button. The user still lacks the way to indicate what space the issue is created in on button click.

That said, the rest of the functionality looks good. That said, it appears too bad that you can't do label mapping (or at least I don't see it on the documentation). It would really be cool if you could pre-specify labels to enhance reporting. Or if it could, say, create the issue and maybe create related sub-tasks. Awh well.

Thomas Egger May 6, 2020

Hi Andras,

it is possible to let users choose project and issue type by activating the "Allow modification" checkbox in the macro configuration. So you can provide the user with a suggestion that can still be overridden.

On every issue there will be a label that indicates the Confluence page the issue has been created on. In the future we are also going to support labels on each Viable Issues Button.

If you need help setting up the app or for further questions you can always contact us through our Service Desk.

Cheers,
Thomas

Andras Blake May 7, 2020

Well, that is handy at least. I have recently learned that it is important for us to set default labels, so at the moment we may just create pre-populated Jira tickets and get a plugin that can both move and copy them in one go. But thank you very much for replying to let me know that it could be changed with that setting.

0 votes
Andras Blake May 22, 2018

Anyone else familiar with any "Create Issue" plugins? Is there any way to have the user specify the project when clicking the button?

0 votes

In reply to your first comment, that is the functionality I want... but without the user having to select the text or create issue. I want them to just click a button that brings up that dialog. Basically, I can learn how to do that, but I don't want to expect every one of our users to go through that manual procedure. I want to make it as easy for them as I can, without having to teach them manual processes. Particularly since I don't even know who the users are or might be.

As for your second response... not quite. More like, the Enterprise Architecture group manages a list of requirements that can be applied to projects. When someone starts up a project, they would create a Jira project for their project, and go through our list of non-functional requirements, decide which might apply to their project, and then create Jira tickets that correspond to the non-functional requirements that they feel apply to their project.

Basically, I mean that the Jira projects don't exist now... but would exist at the time that someone decides to apply a non-functional requirement to their project.

The problem with most create Jira issueadd-ons that I see now, is that they require the page creator to specify the project now, at web page creation, and not later, when the user clicks the button. I want the user to specify the project when they click the button.

0 votes
Scott Theus
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 17, 2018

Hi Andras,

If you select a section of text on the confluence page and hover over it with your mouse you'll get a button to create a Jira issue. That should allow you to select the project from a dropdown box.

Is that what you are looking for? Issue.JPG

-Scott

Scott Theus
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 17, 2018

Hi Andras,

I just re-red your question....you are looking for a way to create a Jira issue from Confluence that does not reside in a project until the PMO user goes into the issue in Jira and assigned it, correct?

In that case then no, I don not believe there is a way to create an issue without putting it into a project. What you can do, however, is create a Jira project for "unassigned" issues and then select that when creating from Confluence. The PMO user can then go into the Unassigned project and move issues from there to the appropriate project.

Better?

-Scott

Andras Blake May 6, 2020

Just saw that I had already replied to this. Thanks still, though!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events