After upgrading from 6.12.1 to 7.2.0 my login screen is blank

admin admin
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 7, 2020

Reviewing the confluence home-dir logs this is where the issue started;

INFO [Catalina-utility-1] [com.atlassian.confluence.lifecycle] init Confluence is ready to serve
2020-01-08 01:51:18,930 ERROR [http-nio-8090-exec-10] [ContainerBase.[Standalone].[localhost].[/]] log Unhandled exception occurred whilst decorating page
-- referer: http://10.10.20.100:8090/login.action?os_destination=%2Findex.action&permissionViolation=true | url: /plugins/servlet/saml/getajaxconfig | traceId: 49835ac57c28d0a1 | userName: anonymous
java.lang.NullPointerException

When I review the server's url this is what I see;
Capture.JPG

3 answers

0 votes
Zak Laughton
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 15, 2020

Hello,

Based on the error, it appears there might be a SAML plugin that got corrupted or misconfigured during the upgrade.

It'll help the community to have a bit more information in order to troubleshoot the issue. If you can, please let us know:

Thanks!
– Zak

admin admin
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 16, 2020

Hi Zak,

I upgraded using the installer with a populated response.varfile

We do use a 3rd-party SAML plugin, and I am only aware of activating safe-mode from within the web gui, so I have not attempted this as yet, b/c login has been unavailable.

Zak Laughton
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 16, 2020

Sorry, I now realize the safe mode documentation I linked only covers the admin menu setting as you mentioned.

In order to get past this, you'll likely need to start Confluence in safe mode by following the "With add-ons disabled" steps on Start and Stop Confluence.

Once Confluence is started in safe mode, it should bypass the SAML configuration, which will let you log in as the internal Confluence admin and adjust the settings for the app.

If you're unsure of the credentials for the internal admin, you can reset them by following Restore passwords to recover admin user rights.

admin admin
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 16, 2020

I had not previously run across that operand, interesting.
I will give that a try next week and let you know how things go.

Like Zak Laughton likes this
0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 7, 2020

You will need to read a lot more of the log than just the first line of the null pointer exception.  What is the rest of the error?

0 votes
admin admin
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 7, 2020

Note that there isn't a proxy in front of the server.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events