Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Add restrictions to an entire page tree

Nick_anderson July 22, 2021

I have invested significant time and effort into our page tree and realize that all my users have the ability to edit anything they want.  Instead of having to go through the dozens of parent and child pages I've created and restricting each page, is there a setting (I've missed) that would allow me to extend restrictions across the entire page tree?

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Clark Everson
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 22, 2021

Hi @Nick_anderson 

Without knowing the configuration, it's hard to say if you missed a setting, but I would highly recommend against restricting every page.

For Space permissions you can limit who has Edit Access to begin with in the space.

Also pages inherit the restrictions from their parent so you only need to restrict the parents. When you restrict the children you are creating a lot more work unless a child needs a specific restriction that isn't in the parent. Anytime you need to grant access you will need to do 10 steps instead of 1.

Hope this helps and welcome to the community!

Best,

Clark

Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 22, 2021

Edit restrictions are not inherited, as outlined here, Add or remove page restrictions

Like Clark Everson likes this
Nick_anderson July 23, 2021

thanks Everyone, @Clark Everson "Also pages inherit the restrictions from their parent so you only need to restrict the parents." 

I was able to manage edit restrictions of the 5 parents from my tree!  we're all set thanks! 

Andreas Purde
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 23, 2021

Dear @Nick_anderson

As @Mikael Sandberg indicated edit restrictions are NOT inherited. So just restricting edit permissions on the 5 parents does not help.

Like Mikael Sandberg likes this
1 vote
Patrick Vanhoof
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 23, 2021

You might consider putting the page tree in a separate space and restrict editing on the space level.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events