Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Add restrictions to an entire page tree

I have invested significant time and effort into our page tree and realize that all my users have the ability to edit anything they want.  Instead of having to go through the dozens of parent and child pages I've created and restricting each page, is there a setting (I've missed) that would allow me to extend restrictions across the entire page tree?

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Clark Everson Community Leader Jul 22, 2021

Hi @Nick_anderson 

Without knowing the configuration, it's hard to say if you missed a setting, but I would highly recommend against restricting every page.

For Space permissions you can limit who has Edit Access to begin with in the space.

Also pages inherit the restrictions from their parent so you only need to restrict the parents. When you restrict the children you are creating a lot more work unless a child needs a specific restriction that isn't in the parent. Anytime you need to grant access you will need to do 10 steps instead of 1.

Hope this helps and welcome to the community!

Best,

Clark

Mikael Sandberg Community Leader Jul 22, 2021

Edit restrictions are not inherited, as outlined here, Add or remove page restrictions

Like Clark Everson likes this

thanks Everyone, @Clark Everson "Also pages inherit the restrictions from their parent so you only need to restrict the parents." 

I was able to manage edit restrictions of the 5 parents from my tree!  we're all set thanks! 

Dear @Nick_anderson

As @Mikael Sandberg indicated edit restrictions are NOT inherited. So just restricting edit permissions on the 5 parents does not help.

Like Mikael Sandberg likes this

You might consider putting the page tree in a separate space and restrict editing on the space level.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Confluence

🏑 Atlympic Event: Confluence

Hello Community!  Quick disclaimer: We are running a contest on Community (The Atlympics!) from July 23rd - August 8th of 2021. If you are interested in participating in this contest (prizes! ...

177 views 6 8
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you