Vertical Scrollbar Too Hard to Grab

Mark Feldpausch November 30, 2017

Using Chrome, the verticle scrollbar is so narrow that I can't grab it.  I drag my mouse over it from right to left and it changes to a double arrow to resize the navigation pane and then to a pointer to grab and move the page beside the scroll bar, but never to a pointer that allows me to drag the scroll bar up and down.

Navigation is extremely difficult and frustrating when you have a space with a number of pages you want to navigate to using the side navigation pane and scrolling up and down.

This was not a problem with the old layout, but the new confluence experience is much worse in this one way.

Is there any way to control the size or behavior of that scrollbar?

Thanks

Untitled.png

8 comments

Brian Houston December 5, 2017

I posted something similar here: https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Confluence-discussions/Confluence-Cloud-vertical-scrollbar-on-navigation-menu-doesn-t/td-p/684012 

Is it grabbable?  I assumed it was not, and only works with scrollwheel.  In either case ... so bad.

Mark Feldpausch December 7, 2017

It is grabbable, but only in the narrowest of circumstances and if you try you'll go crazy.  I've actually started using IE instead of chrome, but IE is fraught with all sorts of other issues.  Not sure how we get attention on this issue.

Hilke Nentwich December 7, 2017

Thanks for raising this. I often work with a mousepad on a laptop, and the current layout is barely usable. There's a tiny window of opportunity when the mouse pointer changes the narrow scroll bar to a darker colour and makes it grabbable. If you blink, you miss it, and if you clicked a bit too late, you inadvertently hide the left hand side menu.

I'd like to be able to revert to the old, wider scroll bar. 

Like Rajesh Ganesan likes this
Bill Hemingway December 7, 2017

I totally agree, it is very frustrating to use the vertical scroll bar.  I actually prefer the look and feel of the older version of Confluence.

Giuliano C_
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 12, 2017

Hello, 

For all the customers and users affected by this behavior, we have created a public report to have our developers working on increasing/modifying the width of the sidebar:

Increase Scrollbar's Width for the Sidebar

It would be really helpful and great if you could add your comments and start watching the report for new modifications. Comments like those will definitely help on increasing its visibility in order to have this modification implemented. 

Tonya Abna April 20, 2021

The bug report linked to above is closed, although the issue was never corrected. It's 4 years later and the scrollbars are still too small to use. It's only 8px wide! It's even worse in this age of video conferencing, because if you are sharing your screen you cannot display the page full screen and scroll using the rightmost scrollbar at the same time. The borders of the this-is-the-area-you're-sharing rectangle cover up half of the scrollbar when the page is full screen, and so you only have maybe 4px to click on without accidentally triggering things in the conferencing app.

Like # people like this
Anna June 20, 2022

Bump! The narrow scrollbar doesn't play nice with multiple monitors. I keep clicking/highlighting/activating windows on my second monitor whenever I try to click the scrollbar on my first. It's not good for productivity.

A wider scrollbar would be great!

Mark.Rogers November 7, 2022

As stated above, the problem with the vertical scroll bar being too narrow to easily grab still exists. I use Google Chrome browser and installed a plugin to give me control of the scrollbar width in order to correct the issue. Something about the way the JIRA page is created prevents the plugin from being able to modify the scroll bar width. As a result, there does not appear to be a way to change it. The plugin works on other pages, just not JIRA.

JIRA it would be very helpful if you could make the scroll bar wider or allow third party plugins to function so user can adjust. 

Mark.Rogers November 7, 2022

For those struggling with this issue, try Rescroller (https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/rescroller/ddehdnnhjimbggeeenghijehnpakijod?hl=en), a Google Chrome extension. It is allowing the resizing of scroll bars at the time of this writing. 

Like # people like this
Evan Smith April 3, 2023

This is a great solution and actually works super well. Here is how my sprint board looks now with this update (I made my scrollbar dark red)Selection_217.png

Jeffrey Saltzman August 23, 2023

Thank you!!!!!! After waiting 6 years in vain for a fix to this, you saved my sanity and my mouse batteries.

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events