Stop links from being created as bubbles in the new editor

Rory Apperson January 21, 2020

I don't know what else to call that, but when I create links in the new editor, often they appears in rectangular boxes (bubbles) with a little blue icon on the left, as shown below: 

2020-01-21_08-23-05.png

Then when I'm using the "Blog Posts" macro, they don't appear as bubbles but the full URLs, and I can't tell what the link goes to:

2020-01-21_08-22-50.png

I want them to be the link text which is inside the bubbles.  How do I disable the bubble behavior?

3 answers

1 vote
Tom Whitmore August 17, 2020

Bubble Links are a problem for me as well. They just seem a pointless anti-feature. They decrease readability, don't get rendered properly (many seconds FOUC) and make the whole experience worse.

• I have my own Wiki space. Where can I turn this off for the entire space?
  • Alternately, where can I turn the new editor off for the entire space?

I'm absolutely disappointed with Confluence Cloud, compared with on-prem Confluence 2 or 3 years ago. Atlassian had a pretty good product but now presumably under the influence of "Product Managers" it's just being pointlessly degraded.

HollyV May 26, 2021

Product Manager, here. Can attest - this is a terrible, no-good, junk feature. Come on Atlassian - do better.

0 votes
Sharon Helms
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 22, 2020

Hi @Rory Apperson , 

Unfortunately, the behavior you're seeing is a default when you add a link URL in either the new editor in Confluence -- and also in Jira! 

@Mike Bowen mentions one workaround (type the text first, then use CTRL+K to add the URL to the text.  

Another workaround -- which is unfortunately not documented anywhere!-- After you paste in a link URL, right after you see the autoformat behavior, use CTRL+Z to undo the autoformat. Then you can click on the URL text, and you will have the option to type in the link text of your choosing. 

** this is a particularly important workaround for anyone who is linking to files on shared Google drives -- which are incompatible with the autoformat behavior, and throw this terrible error. Atlassian knows of the issue, but is not currently supporting shared (team) Google drives: 

Screen Shot 2020-01-22 at 9.22.02 AM.png

Hope this helps,

Sharon

Rory Apperson January 23, 2020

Well this is disappointing.  I'm not sure anyone wants bubble links, and as I showed in the post they don't appear in the blog posts macro -- the full URL does, which is not helpful.  Furthermore, having to type the text you want instead of the bubble every time is annoying.

Like # people like this
0 votes
Mike Bowen
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 21, 2020

Hi @Rory Apperson 

Interesting question and I was wondering why I had a page where some links were bubble links and others were not. So I did a little investigation and I know why :-) 

1. The bubble links appear when one pastes a full URL onto a Next-Gen page (or a page using the new editor). 
  2. The standard links appear (without bubbles) if you select some text (click links icon or CTRL+K and paste in a URL.

bubble URL versus Standard Link.png

-Mike

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events