How can I implement an approval process that affects permissions during the creation of a new page?

Matthias Lochmann March 13, 2024

Hello everyone,

We use Confluence for our internal wiki.

Now I have some criticisms against using Confluence, one main problem is that the content is visible as soon as a page is published...
I know, as long as you just press "save draft" there is no problem. But it's happened quickly that employees press "Publish" instead of "Save draft"...

But how do you ensure that the content is only available for e.g User Group "Emloyees" once the page has been approved by a manager, for example? How do you handle this use case?

Is there a way to grant access only to the creator / page owner in a first step by default? And after the approval process of the content, he can give access to a user group such as "employees" etc.? How would you handle an approval process, preferably without additional apps?

Thank you & Best Regards
Matthias

2 answers

2 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Barbara Szczesniak
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 13, 2024

@Matthias Lochmann To expand on what @Richard Scholtes said, you can instruct your writers that:

1. Depending on the stage of the workflow:
    • while drafting the page, they can click the lock icon (left of the Publish button) to open the Restrictions modal.
    • the first time they publish the page, they should select Only specific people can view or edit in the Access list to open the Restrictions modal.
  2. On the Restrictions modal, they can specify individuals or groups that can view or view and edit the page. You can also use these setting to hide the page from approvers until it is ready for them to review.

RestrictPageOnPublish.png

Once the page has been approved, they can click the lock icon and change the selection from Only specific people can view or edit to Anyone in this space can view, only some can edit (unless you want everyone to be able to edit).

Note that, if the page has a parent page, that page must be visible to the same people for the child page to be visible. 

Matthias Lochmann April 23, 2024

I use now eSin Document Management, this works super! Thank you!

Like Richard Scholtes likes this
0 votes
Answer accepted
Richard Scholtes March 13, 2024

I suggest you create pages in a restricted area of the space or in another space with just employees as users and simply move them to the public area as soon as they are approved. If you want to implement a real approval process and some automation around it, you can check the marketplace for some addons that allow you to di that.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events