Embedding Trello boards in Confluence with enhanced smart links

Hi Atlassian Community,

My name is Caity Cogdell, and I’m a Product Manager on the Trello Team. Today, I’m excited to share that Trello boards can now be embedded in Confluence and other Atlassian products via smart links.

trello embed in confluence.gif

With Trello and Confluence combined, you can get more done without context switching. You can even add, move, or edit Trello cards directly from Confluence!

Wondering how you can boost your team’s productivity using Confluence and Trello together? Here are some great ways to get started: 

• Make planning easier. A Confluence project can be used to craft a vision, and Trello can be used to organize tasks within that vision.

• Collaborate more quickly and reduce errors. Wouldn't it be easier to skip the copying and pasting and view your updates from Trello directly in Confluence? 

• Bringing more work into one place. With Trello and Confluence integrated, you can work on any project-related materials in Confluence and embed your Trello files in the same place. You can even leave Trello comments while still in Confluence!

Screen Recording 2023-03-09 at 1.49.14 PM.gif

To embed a Trello board, copy the board’s URL and paste it into the page you’re working on. Then, click on the link and select “Embed”. That’s it! Now you have an embedded Trello board on your page.

Note:

If you're currently using the Trello board macro to embed Trello boards, please note that the macro will no longer be available starting March 15. This won’t effect your existing embeds.

16 comments

Andy Gladstone
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 15, 2023

Nice improvement in the overall experience. The /trello macro was a bit clunky. This is a more native look and feel.

Like # people like this
agileautonomy April 21, 2023

Hi,

This is great news. Any info on whether or when individual cards or perhaps lists could be embedded?

Like Heather Blue likes this
Caity
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 27, 2023

Hi @agileautonomy, I don't have a timeline on when those might be available, but it's something we're thinking about. Thanks for letting us know that this is something you'd be interested in seeing! Any notes on on how you'd like use card or list embeds if they were available?

agileautonomy April 27, 2023

Hi @Caity ,

By any chance, have you enabled card embedding on my site?

Embedding cards works now. :D Although clicking on the card catapults me to the board. It would be better to be able to interact with it in Confluence. 

Embedding lists would e.g. enable users to create a mix and match board from different Trello boards in Confluence. 

Caity
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 3, 2023

Hi @agileautonomy, we haven't made any changes to card embedding, but it is possible to select a "card" display option for Trello links—is that what you're seeing?

Selecting the card view:

Screenshot 2023-05-03 at 11.22.34 AM.png

The same link displayed as a card:

Screenshot 2023-05-03 at 11.23.47 AM.png

Like Andy Gladstone likes this
Cheryl Watts May 16, 2023

I have a Trello board embedded into my confluence pages, but am no longer able to add or move cards from confluence. Its changed to a view only embed. Has something changed?

Caity
Atlassian Team
May 19, 2023

@Cheryl Watts We haven't made any changes that would make embedded boards read only. Is this a public board by any chance? I'm wondering if you're able to see the board because it's public but not able to interact with it because you're not recognized as logged into Trello.

If it is a public board, please try opening Trello in a new tab and logging in, and then try refreshing your Confluence page. Let us know if that helps!

Jeanette Plews June 13, 2023

Does this make a difference if on prem or cloud 'confluence' as nowhere do I see an option to 'embed' please

Caity
Atlassian Team
June 15, 2023

Hi @Jeanette Plews, this is only available on cloud.

Heather Blue June 30, 2023

Hi @Caity 

I'd like to follow up on your comment above from May 3: the best you can do now to embed a Trello card is to make it a "card" like you have pictured in your comment, whereas before this change was implemented, individual cards could not only be embedded, but also interacted with.

Prior to this change back in March, I could comment on single cards, react to them, etc, whereas now we cannot do this, we have to embed entire boards, and we've received complaints from employees about this change. Here is what a single card embedded in a Confluence page looked like prior to this change, there's a number of things you can do with it while its embedded in Confluence:

Screen Shot 2023-06-30 at 11.35.28 AM.png

And now you can't interact with it in these ways anymore and is a notable downgrade in functionality.

Will your team be looking to fix this so that we can embed single cards into pages again? This was a very useful feature for my company since we use Trello heavily.

Thanks!

Like # people like this
Caity
Atlassian Team
July 6, 2023

Hi @Heather Blue, thanks for sharing how your team was using the previous version card embeds. We're interested in allowing users to embed individual Trello cards in the future, rather than the whole board—however, it's not something we're actively working on right now, so I not able to give you a timeline for it. It's helpful to hear from teams like yours that would get value out of this feature as we're considering it, so thank you again for sharing this.

Chris September 14, 2023

Hi @Caity , i think you have missed the point here. This used to work, and this was already a feature which seems to be have been removed.  We used this feature too and now have to use links which are not as good. 

Luca Pau
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
November 2, 2023

Hi @Caity ,

I think something changed on the trello / confluence embed functionality.

We are no longer able to move or edit cards from a confluence page. Even when we open a card, this one result read-only.

The boards are not public, and all the users use the same account between confluence and trello.
When we open the trello board we are properly logged in and able to interact with them.

This behaviour is the same for all members of our organisation.

Could you please help us fixing this issue? The current situation makes this feature quite useless.

Thanks

Like # people like this
Caity
Atlassian Team
November 17, 2023

Thanks for reporting that, @Luca Pau. I'm able to reproduce this issue as well—we'll look into it!

Like Sara Ausdemore-Matteo likes this
Sara Ausdemore-Matteo January 22, 2024

@Caity Is there a ticket or post to track when the issue Luca called out above will be resolved? Any ETA? 

Like Bri likes this
Bri
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
April 5, 2024

@Caity any updates or a ticket to track regarding the read-only issue posted by Luca? Our team is also experiencing this, which makes the embed function useless. The Trello board is set to public, and I'm definitely logged in / authorized through both products.

I'd also like to second the need for embedding individual cards, which is still listed as a feature in the Use Trello and Confluence together support article.

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events