Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Side Bar

Clare Lawson March 7, 2023

Hi All,

Sometimes I wish I could make the side bar disappear in Confluence. I find that it makes everything feel confusing and disorganized.   Does anyone have any tips and tricks?  It is starting to look messy, etc.

6 answers

4 accepted

Suggest an answer

4 votes
Answer accepted
Rodolfo Romero - Adaptavist March 7, 2023

Do you mean the left side bar? If so, just hover over the line dividing the main section and the side bar and click on the left arrow in the blue circle or use the key "[".

Screenshot attached.

2023-03-07_10-23-49.png2023-03-07_10-25-44.png

1 vote
Answer accepted
Chris Buzon
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 7, 2023

Hotkey to collapse sidebar is ]

1 vote
Answer accepted
Karie Price March 7, 2023

Clare - I'm not sure if this is specifically what you mean, but if you hover over the top portion of the dividing line for the sidebar, an arrow appears that lets you click to collapse the side bar. 

1 vote
Answer accepted
Sharon Halpin March 7, 2023

Hello @Clare Lawson  there is a little arrow (in a circle) to collapse and expand the sidebar.  If it's not visible, just drag the sidebar smaller and then the little arrow will appear.  Will do a screen grab ...

2023-03-07_15-25-44.png

SELAM NIGATU March 7, 2023

There is no way to do this, but you can minimize the side bar, so it won't take up as much space on the page and make the content easier to find. You can also move the sidebar to the bottom of the page if you don't want it to be visible . To do this, click the gear icon at the top right of the page and select " move the sidebar to bottom." This will move the sidebar to the bottom of the page and make it easier to find the content you are looking for.

0 votes
Steven Haworth March 7, 2023

You can also go into the new presenter mode (under three dots in upper-right), which removes the sidebar and navigation, and makes the page cleaner if you're screen-sharing pages.

0 votes

I see the little arrow and use it all the time.  I should have said more in my question.  Is there a  way to make it not as messy and more user friendly? 

Amanda Barber
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 7, 2023

There are lots of ways to better organize the sidebar, but that all depends on your needs. I like to use child pages to keep everything organized and less cluttered in that sidebar. Then, I use the children's display macro on the "main" page for that grouping of pages. I also use emojis a lot to more easily visualize which page within the sidebar - probably not less messy, but it seems more user-friendly!

Like # people like this
Elizabeth.Johnson March 7, 2023

I do the same thing @Amanda Barber

Confluence Sidebar.PNG

Like # people like this

Wow!  I had no idea about this child macro or using emojis like that.  Is there a way you can make the parent areas underlined?  

Elizabeth.Johnson March 7, 2023

I have no idea, but now I want to find out :) I will post back here if I do!

Like Clare Lawson likes this
Collista Lewingdon
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 8, 2023

Ours is organized very similar using the hierarchy and making sure pages go under the related parent page.  

SIDEBAR.png

Collista Lewingdon
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 8, 2023

@Elizabeth_Johnson I do not think there is way to underline the parent pages because it is simply the title of the page and there does not seem to be an option to edit the way the titles appear in Confluence. 

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events