Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do you work with labels and does it help managing and finding content across your organisation?

Matthew_Christiansen_Adaptavist
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
March 15, 2024

Hi, fellow Confluence users,

It seems that search within Confluence is often seen as unintuitive;  labels appear to me as one way to improve search within your instances/spaces.

I am interested in how often your teams or even yourself use labels, whether it is a crucial part of your organisation's content creation process, and how this is enforced.
Furthermore, is using labels easing frustrations with search and duplicate content?
And if you are not using labels, why? I.e., not intuitive to add, not in front of mind when creating content, etc...

Thanks all

Matt

3 comments

Comment

Scott Beeson March 18, 2024

I've gotten to where I use labels like Key Value Pairs. For instance, I have a "Guides" page, that has a bunch of sub-pages with the label "Type=Guide".  I have the same for Tools, Policies, etc. The guides also have labels like "customer=whoever" and "tool=whatever". This makes it easy to do things like "Guides by Client" and use a page properties report to filter by label where "type=guide" and "customer=whoever". Guides also have a section for "related guides" which can list anything with the same tool. It goes on and on. 

Basically, labels + page properties report = the best functionality in Confluence, in my opinion. It's quite powerful, even if a little inelegant. 

Like # people like this
Jay Maechtlen March 20, 2024

I looked at the labels that were already in use, and tried to suggest new ones. Perhaps my suggestions weren't that good, because we haven't had any uptake. I have tag clouds on some of our pages, and try to add logical tags to pages I work with/on. Maybe someone with a better library science background could do better.

It would be nice to have a better dropdown/lookup for tags when entering/adding tags to a page.

Or maybe I am doing it wrong?

Kristian Klima
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 4, 2024

Labels are an integral and functional part of our workflow at the Emplifi's product documentation team.

We use Scroll Variants for Scroll Documents app by K15t to create conditional content in our product documentation - separating public from internal docs in Scroll Viewport, while doing all authoring and docs life-cycle management in a single Confluence space.

So we're using simple labels for an extremely important part of our Confluence workflows.

Another use is pages by label as seen here: https://docs.emplifi.io/platform/latest/home/facebook-widgets-in-dashboard 

One create many permutations to display an aggregated/themed content block on a single page.

Similarly, for internal use, label any page that's a part of an in-app help.

Last but not least, labels and Databases make it easier to manage our content on a wholesale level.

Like # people like this
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events