Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why does git fetch take forever to complete on Bitbucket only?

Clemens Himmer August 29, 2022

I have the problem where `git fetch` takes an enormous time to complete - always 13 minutes, and 9 seconds ± a few ms -, which does not happen on other git origins like e.g. Github repos - to eliminate issues caused by network. The consistent time taken to complete the operation makes me assume the establishing of the connection takes slightly over 13 minutes and the actual response is what makes the variation in completion time, but I have no idea what causes this.

This problem occured a few days ago, before fetch worked as usual, but there has been no significant event that would explain why this change in speed occured.

I work with SSH, I have not tried using HTTPS yet because I work with SSH on all repos I contribute to.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Erez Maadani
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 29, 2022

I suggest to start by changing your SSH debug level to more verbose. Depending on your git client version, you can use one of the following:

1. From Git version 2.3.0, you can use the environment variable GIT_SSH_COMMAND and pass the -v verbose argument:

GIT_SSH_COMMAND="ssh -v" git clone example

2.  From Git version 2.10.0, you can save this configuration globally, or per repo:

git config core.sshCommand "ssh -vvv"
git pull

See original answer here 

Clemens Himmer August 29, 2022

Thanks, I was unaware you could do that!
That pointed me into the right direction, which leads me to the problem of my network refusing connection to bitbucket's IPv6 addresses, documented here: https://confluence.atlassian.com/bbkb/recent-ipv6-changes-840796883.html

I have solved the issue with the mentioned workaround, thanks a lot!

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events