Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Publishing Specific Git Tags

Aasem Khan September 6, 2013

Hi all,

A noob here trying to find a simple solution to publish my code. I have my code in a Git Repo (Bitbucket) and have three identical environments; dev, test and prod for my application. I've been able to run builds on Jenkins (with Cloudbees) as someone from Bitbucket support recommended, but I still have a couple of questions.

1. How do I run builds based on specific Git tags? I have a release tag nomenclature defined in my process, which would enable me to do rollbacks if necessary, but don't know how to do the builds / deploys.
  2. Once the build is complete, what is the best way to actually transfer the code to the application server? I'm not married to Jenkins or any other specific app or platform, so any suggestion would be fine.

I've searched Google, this and other forums, but have only been able to get fragmented information, and short of paying consultants $2k per day I can't figure this solution out. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

1 answer

0 votes
Aasem Khan September 6, 2013

So I've found a way to transfer the code to my web server as well. Now I just need to know how to use code from specific tags for the build / deploy process.

Example: A tag "v2.0" is assigned to the repository after a commit. All files related to v2.0. are then deployed to the production (or any other) server. A bug is found in code that necessitates a rollback. Tag v1.5 is deployed to production to rollback the v2.0 release.

This is probably pretty simple once one figures it out. Suprised that no one on this forum knows - or is willing to share - how to do this.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events