Come for the products,
stay for the community

The Atlassian Community can help you and your team get more value out of Atlassian products and practices.

Atlassian Community about banner
Community Members

Community Events
Community Groups

Problem setting up required Two-Step authentication

As a tentative step toward moving from BB Data Center to BB Cloud, I am setting up a bucket.org POC. It is built on a Premium account.

I have set up my SSH key and turned on  Required Two-step Authentication.  It works on my account.

Then, because I need to prepare some "how to" documentation for the other users on my POC, I created a new email account, added then to a Developer group and sent the invitation.  I opened a second browser and saw that the invitation arrived as expected.  I clicked on the link and then everything gets a bit weird.

I was taken to an Atlassian account setup process and when complete, I was dropped into a personal BB cloud account - not the workspace I had issued the invitation from.

So I logged out and clicked on the invitation link again.  This time I was dropped into the right workspace -- but there was no second step authentication and no prompting to set it up. I have been in and out of the test account a half dozen times and have never been prompted for second factor.  I have also not been shown the authenticator QR code or asked to set up SSH keys.

It looks like it is working like non-premium account.  I can sign up to have 2 factor, but if I don't, I can get in and browse the contents just fine.  I don't have enough content yet to try out git, but this is not working as I expected.  Can anyone explain?

1 answer

OK, I see where I went wrong.

First, I forgot to set the workspace and associated projects and repos as "private" so they were world readable.  My miss.

Once I did that, my test user could not see anything in the workspace. This is where I made my second mistake.  I was expecting BB to prompt a new user to set up 2FA if they

1. are in a user group of the workspace and 
  2. are trying to get to that workspace

Not true.  A user must self-elect to turn on 2-step authentication for their own account, then they are led through the process of setting up an SSH key and configuring the 2 step. Then they can see the assets in the workspace.

Hope this helps someone.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Bitbucket

Git push size limits are coming to Bitbucket Cloud starting April 4th, 2022

Beginning on April 4th, we will be implementing push limits. This means that your push cannot be completed if it is over 3.5 GB. If you do attempt to complete a push that is over 3.5 GB, it will fail...

2,223 views 2 9
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you