Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Personal Access Token for Bitbucket Cloud?

d745 November 23, 2017

Hello!

I can only find documentation for personal access token for Bitbucket Server: https://confluence.atlassian.com/bitbucketserver/personal-access-tokens-939515499.html

Is this functionality also available for Bitbucket Cloud?

Thank you

3 answers

3 votes
Ana Retamal
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 3, 2018

Hi David, apologies for the late response! I hope this answer will still help someone, so here it goes :)

Bitbucket Cloud does not have personal access tokens, but depending on what use you wanted to give them you can use App passwords or OAuth instead.

Would this suit you?

Cheers!

Ana

Raf January 20, 2018

What is the reason behind lack of *personal access tokens* feature in Bitbucket cloud? 

As a developer, I find access tokens very handy when you are executing Git commands (i.e. clone, push, pull, etc). I use Github's personal access token on daily basis and it's super convenient. 

I guess I will have to disable 2FA in my bitbucket :( 

Like Prakalathan likes this
Daniil Penkin
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 19, 2018

Hi @Raf, Bitbucket developer here.

I believe that App passwords that Ana referred to above are just what you're looking for. They were introduced exactly for the case when 2FA is turned on but some scoped access with basic auth is required.

Hope this helps.

Cheers!

Daniil

Like # people like this
Adam Wride
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 31, 2019

@Daniil Penkin - I'm curious why Atlassian didn't go with calling them "Personal access tokens"? :-)

Daniil Penkin
Atlassian Team
January 31, 2019

Unlike personal access token app password is not enough to authenticate with Bitbucket Cloud, it also requires your username (login). So it is a password.

Like # people like this
Adam Wride
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 1, 2019

@Daniil Penkin - thanks for the quick response!

Yasar Ertekin February 26, 2020

I want to use personal access token to give AWS amplify access, with bitbucket cloud that is not possible, is there a workaround for.

Like # people like this
Khaled AbuShqear June 29, 2020

I have exactly the same case as @Yasar Ertekin ! AWS amplify does not provide option to use App passwords! I'm even trying to find a way to automatically create access tokens but no luck!

Allan Oliveira August 27, 2020

I'm in the same situation also with AWS Amplify. It would be great if personal access tokens were available for BitBucket so they could be used with CloudFormation to create Amplify Apps.

Allan Oliveira August 27, 2020

Update:

With help from AWS support I've been able to create an Amplify App using a CloudFormation template and the AWS::Amplify::App resource.

I set up an OAuth consumer and using the client_credentials flow I was able to get a short-lived access token. Once I adjusted the OAuth consumer permissions/scopes appropriately (repository:admin webhook pullrequest) then it allowed an access token with appropriate permissions to be using in the OauthToken CloudFormation parameter combined with the Repository parameter with the Repo URL.

This created an Amplify App linked to the BitBucket Repo. There's a bit more effort involved but it works.

Stanimir Kostadinov June 24, 2021

Dear Allan Oliveir,

I have been trying to replicate your suggestion workflow for creating AWS Amplify app. However, I am having trouble generating an access_token from BitBucket  following client_credentials flow or even getting an oauth_token.

Any assistance would be appreciated. Would be happy to provide any details needed.

Allan Oliveira June 24, 2021

Hi Stanimir,

So long as you've created an OAuth Consumer in your workspace with the correct permissions you should be able to generate short-lived access tokens as needed.

My implementation uses the https://bitbucket.org/site/oauth2/access_token endpoint with the key and secret and the client_credentials grant_type. An example below in Python.

response = requests.post(
    url="https://bitbucket.org/site/oauth2/access_token",
    auth=(f"{oauth_key}", f"{oauth_secret}"),
    data={"grant_type":"client_credentials"}
)

Also with CURL it's straight forward to test e.g.

curl -X POST --user <OAuth consumer Key>:<OAuth consumer Secret> https://bitbucket.org/site/oauth2/access_token -d grant_type=client_credentials

Hope that helps, let me know if you need anymore guidance.

Anton Osenenko July 17, 2021

Is this "hack" still working? I've got this every time

{"error_description": "Cannot use client_credentials with a consumer marked as \"public\". Calls for auto generated consumers should use urn:bitbucket:oauth2:jwt instead.", "error": "invalid_grant"}
0 votes
Aditya Gupta February 16, 2021

I have an issue. I am not able to use the Jenkins generated access token in the webhook over at Bitbucket. Secondly, because I am not able to generate a personal access token in the bitbucket cloud, I am not able to intgrate Jenkins continuously. Please help. 

I am getting the error 403: No valid crumb issuer.

I have tried enabling CSRF protection and compatibility for proxies, but still upto no good. Please help.

0 votes
Yasar Ertekin February 26, 2020

It is like Bitbucket Cloud is in feature stage, I now lost time and many to find a workaround for this issue. for using *personal access tokens* feature in Bitbucket cloud.

Daniil Penkin
Atlassian Team
February 26, 2020

Hello @Yasar Ertekin,

Bitbucket Cloud doesn't have personal tokens (as in, single string), but it has app passwords (which meant to be used with your username replacing your regular password) and OAuth tokens instead.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Daniil

Keith Doan February 29, 2020

I tried to use app passwords, in place of personal access token, as mentioned but I can't push the change to Bitbucket Cloud because of insufficient permission (according to the message). What should I do? Thanks

Keith Doan February 29, 2020

The app password does not have push permission.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events