Not receiving emails when added as reviewer in Pull Requests

Rich Supe February 2, 2023

For the last month or so I have not been getting emails when tagged in Pull Requests as a reviewer. I have checked my spam, changed my personal settings, and updated settings in the email notification center. 

I currently receive emails from tags in pull requests, but not when I'm added as a reviewer. 

1 answer

0 votes
Theodora Boudale
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 6, 2023

Hi @Rich Supe and welcome to the community.

Does this concern the Bitbucket Cloud account that has the same email address as your community account?

The email address of your community account is not in any of our suppression lists (if it were, you wouldn't be receiving emails when someone at mentions you). Our email logs show several emails delivered to this email address, some of them related to pull requests, however, I cannot see if these are emails where you were added as a reviewer or not.

Even if someone is not watching a repository for pull request notifications, adding them as a reviewer should automatically add them as a watcher to the PR (meaning that they should receive notification emails).

Could you please check one of the recent PRs where you were added as a reviewer but did not receive a notification email for that event:

• While viewing the PR on Bitbucket Cloud website, select the 3 dots next to the Settings.

Do you see the option Watch like in the screenshot below?

Screenshot 2023-02-06 at 15.47.07.png

Or do you see the option Stop watching instead?

Screenshot 2023-02-06 at 15.47.14.png

Kind regards,
Theodora

Rich Supe February 6, 2023

That makes sense. On the most recent PR I am considered "watching" it since being added as a reviewer, but I did not receive an email:
Screenshot 2023-02-06 at 3.08.01 PM.png

Theodora Boudale
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 7, 2023

Hi @Rich Supe,

Thank you for the info.

Since you are added as a watcher, this part seems to work ok.

I would suggest we do the following for further troubleshooting if that's ok with you:

• I can grant you access to a repo of mine I am going to create (for testing purposes)
  • I can then add you as a reviewer in a PR of that repo
  • This way, I can check our email logs for the time I added you as a reviewer, see if an email is sent, and its status, and you can let me know whether you receive it (we can narrow down the scope of the issue this way)

Would that be ok with you?

It would also be helpful to know:

1. Are you added as a PR reviewer in multiple different repos, and if so, do you have an issue with PR notifications from all these repos?
  2. Are you aware if other reviewers in these PRs are receiving these emails?
  3. Do you get any other notification emails from these PRs (apart from when someone at mentions you), like when someone leaves a comment in the PR or when the source branch gets updated with new commits?

Kind regards,
Theodora

Rich Supe February 7, 2023

Hey @Theodora Boudale
That sounds like a good approach to me, let me know when you give me access and add me as a reviewer. 

1. I am added on different repos, I do not receive 'added as reviewer' notifications. 
  2. Other reviewers are receiving them
  3. I don't think that I am receiving comment or update notifications. Can you add a comment on the PR that you create for me to be sure?

I did not receive an email notification from either comment this morning:

Screenshot 2023-02-07 at 10.58.01 AM.pngScreenshot 2023-02-07 at 11.00.08 AM.png

I did randomly receive comment (when tagged) email notifications for a single day, last week:
Screenshot 2023-02-07 at 11.04.34 AM.png

Theodora Boudale
Atlassian Team
February 8, 2023

Hi @Rich Supe,

Thank you for the info.

I just sent you an invitation for the repo test-workspace-9/test-repo-1.

You should have received an email invitation from noreply+XXXXXXXXX@am.atlassian.com, you need to follow the link in that email to accept my invitation. Please let me know if you have received that email and if you have accepted my invitation, and I can then proceed with adding you as a reviewer, commenting on the PR etc.

Kind regards,
Theodora

Rich Supe February 8, 2023

Got the email and accepted the invitation!

Theodora Boudale
Atlassian Team
February 8, 2023

Thank you!

I created a PR and added you as a reviewer a few minutes ago, at 14:03 UTC.
Two minutes later I added a comment to that PR.

I checked our email logs and I can see that an email was sent to your email address for both events, there are no error messages and both emails seem to have been delivered to your mail server. Have you received any of these?

The emails are sent from pullrequests-reply@bitbucket.org

I would suggest checking

• your Spam folder
  • if there are any filters in your email account, that would make emails from pullrequests-reply@bitbucket.org skip your inbox

Please feel free to let me know how it goes.

Unfortunately, I did not receive any email notifications from the Pull Request. My spam folder is empty and I currently have no filters or blocked emails. However, I did receive emails when I was added to the repositoryScreenshot 2023-02-08 at 9.19.59 AM.pngScreenshot 2023-02-08 at 9.21.31 AM.pngScreenshot 2023-02-08 at 9.20.59 AM.png

Theodora Boudale
Atlassian Team
February 8, 2023

Thank you for the info @Rich Supe.

The invitations emails are sent from a different email address, and it looks like the problem occurs specifically with emails sent from pullrequests-reply@bitbucket.org

Considering that the emails are sent from our side, and they show as delivered to your mail server, I would suggest that you reach out to the administrator of your mail server and ask them to investigate why these emails do not make it from the mail server to your inbox. Since I can see that the emails get delivered, there is not really much more I can do.

The two emails that were sent today based on the PR activity of my repo were sent at 14:03 UTC and 14:05 UTC respectively. If the administrator of your mail server needs any further info from us, please feel free to let me know.

Kind regards,
Theodora

That makes sense, thanks for narrowing this down. I'll reach out if I need anything else!

Like Theodora Boudale likes this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events