Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Migrate To Bitbucket Datacenter

Marko Tomljenovic June 5, 2019

Hello,

we will likely have the case in future that we have two Bitbucket datacenters or potentially one regular Bitbucket instance (no datacenter) and one datacenter.

Now I need to migrate all data (GIT repos and all metadata like projects, pull requests, ...) to the datacenter. An upgrade is not possible I really need to move the data to the datacenter.

Is that possible at all? What is possible and what not?

Is it done manually or is there some tool support from Atlassian/3rd party available?

Thank you

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Dave Theodore [Coyote Creek Consulting]
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 5, 2019

It's a manual process.  We have done a number of migrations to Bitbucket Data Center and we have had good success at getting all the data for our clients.  If you are using git-lfs or doing more advanced things with Git, your mileage may vary, though.  We have a set of tools that we wrote to do this kind of thing, but it's nothing that you couldn't do yourself.

On the Bitbucket Data Center front, I would highly recommend extensive performance testing before you go live.  Bitbucket Data Center behaves quite differently to other Data Center applications.  Just because Jira Data Center runs happily on your environment should be be used as an indicator that Bitbucket Data Center will too.  On every large Bitbucket Data Center instance that we have been involved with, we have faced the "Bitbucket is Queuing" issue. 

If your instance is large and you plan to heavily use CI/CD in your environment, I would recommend working with a Solutions Partner.  We see a wide range of use cases and can help you avoid problems.

Marko Tomljenovic June 5, 2019

Hello Dave,

thanks for the quick response.
I guess the tools that you are mentioning are not free / OSS?

Dave Theodore [Coyote Creek Consulting]
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 6, 2019

Ah, yeah.  These are proprietary tools that we developed for when we do migrations for our clients.  If you don't want to deal with migrating, we're happy to help :) The link to my company is in my profile.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events